Driver Seat Removal/Fix Heated Seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 08:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Seat Removal/Fix Heated Seat

wanted to check and make sure its just the four bolts holding the tracks for the seat holding the seat in. Also would appreciate any known trouble spots on the heated seats or diagrams. Thanks
Old 11-22-2007, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Do you have comfort or sport seats? Power or manual seats? Model of car?

On a 100/200 there are only 2 bolts holding in the seat under the front. Remove these from the floor, remove the track cover on the trans tunnel, remove the stop at the back of the rocker panel side track and slide out the seat from the back. If you have power disconnect the wires before removal by tipping back the seat for access to the plugs and wires. If you have a cell phone in a arm rest disconnect the wires to it (simple phone jacks) and remove the arm rest. It's a 6mm allen head bolt under a trim button. Makes for easier handling. They are a bit heavy and awkward so don't hurt your back.
Usually a nonfunctional heater is due to a break in the heating element under the leather. But Check your relays and switches before going to all of this trouble removing the seat. See posts below.
The element is contained in a cotton blanket type pad glued to the foam. Look several posts down for lots of discussion on this. Generally the problem lies in the seat portion of the chair. Carefully look for brown spots in the cotton mat. These are element breaks. Strip the insulation back if you find one and gently twist the wire together. Fold it over and tape with electrical tape. If you have a sport seat you may not have to remove the seat at all but just remove the hog rings holding down the center cushion carefully bending it back, romoving the metal stays and carefully pealing the leather back. That is about as general as I can get having just done a repair myself. Read the previous posts, lots of good information there......Hope that this helps.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Do you have comfort or sport seats? Power or manual seats? Model of car?

FWIW I have a 200 with sport seats, and I just fixed mine by repairing a break in a wire where the center seat section meets the drivers outside bolster.Seems to have rubbed on a hog ring or metal support under the bolster. I had to pull the whole damn seat-,and the hog rings which held it on (from the front.)-But thanks to Coloquattro I sorta waded my way through it. I even made about $.95 in change doing the repair.Your tips made it a HELL of a lot easier than I figured it would be. My now toasty backside thanks you. Syracuse gets a little cold in the winter.Thanks again CQ!
Old 11-24-2007, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Exactly where my element broke,center hog ring on left bolster on the driver's seat cut the element

I removed the seat as well thinking that the job would take more than it did. Ol' Pete at Audi's Only.com salvage in Englewood,CO kept telling me that I was making it harder than it really was. Told me exactly what to do and where to look and not to take the seat out...but I did it anyway too. Glad it workied for you!
Old 11-25-2007, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Exactly where my element broke,center hog ring on left bolster on the driver's seat cut the elem

I guess in retrospect I probably could have repaired it in car. Fairly easy to get the seat out though, and I really dont like working in cramped areas. Easier to drag it inside and work on it in my den (where it's nice and warm)
Old 11-25-2007, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Alot of Harley Davidson Owners agree with you on doing work in that location;+)

I tried to fix the seat in car the first time by pulling the front hog rings, then looked at it and put it back together because of the metal stays connected to the leather under the foam. Didn't want to get into something that was going to be too difficult to put back together. Even then it was a PITA to get those front hog rings back on, which I really never did until I took the seat out of the car and finally fixed it. Plus you can clean under the seat, that's where I made about $.45....