Fan Queation/ Heated Seats Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan Queation/ Heated Seats Question

Sooo-
The 90 TQ 200 has been running GREAT all winter here where it was at least -10 for about 30 days straight. I worry about this car all the time though- so yesterday when I was looking under the hood I noticed a little antifreeze had run down the side of the oil pan. I traced it to the R side of the top hose above the fan switch. Ran the car for about an hour, wasn't leaking. I decided to check my fan switch operation for the heck of it. turned the A/C on (it was 15 out) and the fan didn't come on. Unplugged the switch and ran the jumper wire- got the two speeds on the fan. The switch, radiator, fan, and hoses as well as thermostat, multifunction switch, and oil pressure switches are all new on this car as of last fall (as well as heater core, ugh). My question- is it just too cold out for the fan to kick on? I thought it came on automatically with the A/C? I know the fan works- did I get a bum fan switch? What do you guys think about the Antifreeze leak? just a temp thing, maybe running too hard before the engine was totally warm? No leak at all currently.

2nd- has anyone other than Boxerfan actually undertaken the heated seat fix? The relays are clicking, but no heat, so I imagine there are some burned out spots in the heat mesh in the seat.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2007, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seem to remember............

that VWs and prolly Audis have a temperature sensor in the A/C system. If the outside temp is below about 50 to 55 degrees, the A/C compressor won't turn on. If what I am remembering is correct, then that would be the reason that your radiator fan isn't turning on.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Fan Queation/ Heated Seats Question

Fan won't run unless the underhood heat is sufficient to require it. A/C won't turn on or activate fan below about 35-40 degrees (F).

Seat heater replacement has been documented in the archives of audifans.com. Search for hog ring pliers. You have to deal with hog rings that hold the leather cover to the seat frame. That's why the file has that name.