Fuse 13 Unlucky Number,,,,,,

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse 13 Unlucky Number,,,,,,

Hi, my name is Thomas. I hate to be the noob and start off by asking questions but.....

I have a 1989 Audi Quattro 200 5 Cylinder Vehicle....

After surfing around the forum and getting some very useful information, I'm getting closer to making this car run....

The problem I'm having is no spark and no fuel pump signal.

During cranking I have no power to fuse 13 (fuel pump). I can power this fuse up with my power probe and hear the fuel pump run but the car does not run.

I've also noticed that I have no dash board lights on when the vehicle does not start. When the dash lights are on the vehicle starts. By dash lights I mead the alternator/oil light and eletronic display. Actually they are on dimly when it does not start.

I have a wiring diagram from Mitchels but it's hard to follow. I notice some light corrosion in the fuse box but I've seen things run that are much worse than this one.

So far, I've jumped the big terminals on the fuel pump relay (pump runs but no spark), replaced several bad fuses, read up on forum searches, cleaned several corroded pins in the fuse box.

Is there a common that I should be looking for? I can not see from the diagram a common trait to the fuse pump and the ignition. Am I missing something? Are there ground circuits common to both problems I should be checking?

I also noticed that the ignition lock cylinder seem loose.

The next thing I'm going to do is see if I can pull any engine fault codes (though i do not understand how to do this from the mitchells instructions).

Any suggestion on where to go from here?

Thanks so much!!
Old 11-28-2011, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engine control unit requires a good signal from two sensors mounted on the driver side half way down the junction of the engine and the clutch housing in order to trigger the fuel pump and ignition. They are the ignition reference and engine speed sensors. The former reads a pin on the engine side of the flywheel and the latter reads the teeth of the flywheel. In the Bentley workshop manual you'll find a way to test those sensors with a multimeter.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like your ign. switch needs replacing.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yodasfro
Sounds like your ign. switch needs replacing.
Yoda is strong with the force.

The ignition switch was in fact bad. I located it by accident during testing when i noticed the lock housing was loose on the column and I wiggled it and the lights came on.

A new ignition switch from NAPA for 8$ and I'm back on the road!

THANK YOU FOR the help!!!!