Heater Core & stupid Bentley manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undo the strap across the top...

it uses double sided foam tape to hold it down. It is a bear to pull, just go slow so you can make sure everything is disconnected. The plastic case spilts into two halves vertically, pull the clips and seperate. The control doors will want to fall out, again go slow so you can see where stuff comes from. Good luck with it.
Old 05-14-2002, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Dan & Jim.....

With a flat screw driver, separate the heater unit from the metal/painted wall of the car. The foam is really messy and sticky. Then when foam is not holding anymore, pull, pull strong and be careful not to rip some parts or wires. Disconnect everything from the inside of the car before pulling. => Vacuum hoses, wires,...all heater air ducts.
Also, outsire, if you haven't noticed yet, there is a metal strap (flat) going around the white part (heater). Remove this strap, it's holding the heater down. Other than this strap and the sticky foam, there should be nothing else holding the heater unit down.
Just like Dave said, when you take the whole(white) heater unit out you have to split it in two parts in order to get the heater core out. Be very careful to put back all the valves/flaps inside the unit when you're putting it together at the end.
Remove/clean all the old foam that is stuck to the unit and the car. Use termal siliconne or fresh sticky foam to glue the unit back on.
Old 05-14-2002, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Undo the strap across the top...

Thanks.

Here's where I'm at. I've got all the **** off of there, the wiper motor, and I've got the hoses disconnected and the retaining strap completely off.

That heater won't budge; how is it connected? I don't think I possess the physical strength to manually pull it.
Also, on the passenger side it looks like it is connected to the AC stuff; does it just detach at the big circular air hose?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-14-2002, 05:57 PM

Default It really is just double sided tape...

but there is a mess of it, the first time I used a flat pry bar. Just loosen the clamps on the duct to the air conditioning and pull the hose back off the white box to give you clearence.
Old 05-15-2002, 10:19 AM

Default Re: It really is just double sided tape...

OK I've basically got the job done. Didn't know there were four long screws buried in the heater, besides the umpteen clips. That heater box is a bitch to get out! I'm about to put it back in.

By the way, do you think I can get away with replacing the original foam lining with weatherstripping foam tape and silicone adhesive?

Oh hey, do you know how I get that spring back on the passenger side flap end?
Old 05-15-2002, 06:18 PM

damn it...i forgot to tell you about the four bolts in the heater, i took me some time to find them when i was spliting the heater a part. sorry.
Now, be careful when putting all the flaps back, make sure they all go in the right place. It may take you some time.

I haven't put the spring back, i have no idea how it should be put.
You can use silicone or other foamy adhesive to glue back the heater.
Old 05-16-2002, 11:36 PM

I got the spring and all the control doors back in now, it just took a while. Hopefully, I have the flaps in correctly; seems pretty cut and dry, either they're in place or they're not!

I put foam weatherstripping around the damn heater box. I think at the firewall I'll use silicone beaded around the perimeter, just for some extra seal.

After this, I'm basically home-free, just gotta put the hoses back on it and put the dash back together. That old heater core was totally rotten, and it weighed a ton! Glad I did this.
Old 05-17-2002, 04:42 PM

Default Thanks for the help

Finally got that bastard done; it's nice to have air coming out of the vents that doesn't reek of coolant. The air actually smells new, since the core is new. Kick ***; now if I can just figure out why the hell the air only comes out the window vents.