Hopefully, there's someone online this weekend need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Hopefully, there's someone online this weekend need help

I need someone who's BTDT regarding the fuel tank on an 5000. Mine is an 86, but I assume many are the same. Question: Is there anyway humanly possible to remove the fuel pump to accumulator line without dropping the tank?

I have both ends disconnected, but it seems the line runs through a clamp or something above the tank. I can't see of course cause the tank is in the way.

Tomorrow my team is at the Superbowl and I'd really like to watch them win it all. Instead, I might be dropping my tank. If anyone hears a big bang, it's only me spilling some gas and having the kerosine torpedo heater ignite the whole thing.

For those who know me, I am in Michigan. No, the Detroit Lions are not in the bowl, but if it's any help, I was born in the city of brotherly love.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hopefully, there's someone online this weekend need help

I've never done such a repair, but I looked up a '86 5k and 5ktq on ETKA. The flexible hose simply runs down to the accumulator and shows a nylon tie wrap half-way down, holding the hoses to the body of the car.
You can try fishing another hose instead of dropping the tank. Might work. Just protect the hose from chaffing with some foam pipe insulation.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default There is an easier way to access the pump...

Go inside the trunk and remove the spare tire lid and carpetting. Remove spare tire and jack/tools. You should be able to see a flat hatch in the spare tire carrier. Once you open the hatch, you'll be able to see the fuel pump fairly easily. Try pulling the line from there. If you have to, you can remove the pump itself from that hatch and maneouver it so you can get the line off too.

Good luck.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes, I have the trap door open in the trunk, what i need..

is to remove the fuel line that goes from the pump to the accumulator. I had a leak and replaced my lines. The fittings on the acumulator were rusted to hell and would not spin. Bottom line is I messed up the line coming from the pump to the accumulator. It is not your garden variety hose. I can put a fitting on it, but need to have it on my bench and the damn thing seems to be stuck up above the tank.

If the clamp is nylon, maybe I can try pulling harder and rip it out.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:39 PM

Default I think it's the hoses he must access.

And they are attached with a clip to the body as they run down the tank.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:41 PM

Default worth a try.

I was thinking the same thing, try to install another fitting.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Will sent you an email. do you have a pic?
Old 02-05-2005, 03:05 PM

Default here ya go...

I'm unable to grab pictures off my copy of ETKA, but I have a copy of it on my website that I downloaded from somewhere a long time ago, for a turbo quattro.
part# 45/46

FYI: disable javascript before clicking on link.
Damn popups!<ul><li><a href="http://members.fortunecity.com/willng/ETKA/pages/ACCUMULATOR%20FUEL%20PUMP%20FUEL%20PIPE.htm">http://members.fortunecity.com/willng/ETKA/pages/ACCUMULATOR%20FUEL%20PUMP%20FUEL%20PIPE.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 02-05-2005, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default thanks, what year is that from? looks different than my 86

i can't seem to make out the nylon tie wrap or where it is. also, I need more wheaties to pull that line out. it won't budge.

i'll probably have to drop the tank. there's very little gas in it thankfully. by the way, your in michigan right? if you hear a big bang, it's because i spilled some gas and my torpedo kerosine heater ignited the whole thing. look for my garage in the sky somewhere.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Steve Ankney had this problem...

He could not get that line out either.

He and Jim Bush used a barb fitting where the line split just before the accumulator.

It's a real PITA to get the barb seated in far enough into that plastic line. One in far enough they simply used fuel injection clamps on both sides.

It's worked fine since early summer.

Quick Reply: Hopefully, there's someone online this weekend need help