idle, heat, brakes, window, ect...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle, heat, brakes, window, ect...

The first problem is the idle. When I start it it idles really low and will die if I hit the gas at all, even when I leave it in the garage. After it warms up it seems to be fine. Any suggestions? Next, the heater works great but if its not set for the hottest setting it will get fairly cool. I'm not sure what to look for on this one. Any suggestions would be great. The third problem is the brake light on the dash. It wont shut off. I'm not sure why, I just had all the brakes rebuilt so I know theres nothing wrong with them. I did hear about a wire that is supposed to be connected to the pads or something like that, does anyone know how to bypass or fix this? The next problem is the power window. I tore it all apart and found the cable that hoists the window up and lets it go down is broken, can just the cable be replaced or do you have to replace the motor to? Lastly are the battery and one other dash light. I went over a puddle of water about 2 inches deep that splashed up under the car. The battery light and one other light came on and slowly faded away. Is this serious or something I can easily fix?
Thanx, Mike
Wisconsin
Old 11-29-2001, 06:09 PM

Default Re: idle, heat, brakes, window, ect...

idle - could be many things.... vacuum leak, clogged isv, plugs/wires, injectors. What happens when you get it running, or when its warmed up? Does it idle fine? Need more info.
heat - does your temp gauge in the dash show your car is operating at normal temp?
brakes - did you replace the "bomb"?
windows - from what I hear, the cable isnt replaceable. I think people have done it and just said to replace it is easier. Check ebay
I dont know about the battery light and the other. I guess as long as your getting proper voltage and the alternator is charging fine, it cant be too serious?
Old 11-29-2001, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

batter light over a puddle of water - probably your alternator belt is slipping
Old 11-30-2001, 02:20 PM

Default Re: idle, heat, brakes, window, ect...

With the idle it runs fine after it heats up. It just has to sit for about 5-10 minutes.
What is the "BOMB"?
Yes the temp gauge reads normal.
I apreciate the help.
Mike
Wisconsin
Old 11-30-2001, 02:33 PM

Default Re: batter light over a puddle of water - probably your alternator belt is slipping

the bomb is the brake accumulator. its under the car and looks like a bubble with a shaft attached to it. It has a couple hydraulic lines attached to it. Its kind of a 'helper' for your brakes but when it goes bad, your brakes will fail. This is how you test.... after the car runs for a min, turn it off and pump the brake pedal. If it gets REAL stiff in less than 10 pumps, its bad. If you leave the key on but the car not running, the brake light will flash too when you do this test.