Need some advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advise

I don't know where to go from here...
I have IA stage 3 chip, stock turbo and manifold. I run 17 psi of boost. From the research I have done that is as far as I can go. What is the next step to get more from my car. 91 20v turbo quattro.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default it starts to get a bit more expensive now, sadly.

If you are at sea level with a stage 3 IA chip you should be able to see 21-22 PSI... I'd look into that, I think 17 is low.

Next step is a different turbo followed by software and depending who you ask a different manifold, though I have talked to a lot of people that say that "burning the number 5 cylinder if you don't use an rs2 manifold" is bull**** and is an old myth thats been circling around for 10+ years. I haven't changed out my manifold and its run for 10,000 miles, often under hard accelerations with no problems connected to the manifold. I trust the people I talk to as being the experts. Does the rs2 manifold / other manifold/ header flow better than stock? Obviously. Is it necessary - depends who you ask. I'll let you know when I roast my engine but so far so good.

Anyway, turbo talk comes next. You can upgrade to a RS2 turbo or go garrett. I chose garrett since its dual ball bearing, has quicker spool up for the same HP numbers, and have a good reputation. This involves switching the turbo and the lines. I went with the gt2871, probably about as close as you can fit, maybe 3071 without going to a bigger header type option and again, spending more money.

The 2871 will get you to a lovely 28 psi of boost that I would be surprised if you weren't happy with. The 3071 you can run well past 30 but at this point you'd probably want to start thinking about internals as your motor (3b) is going to be crying out in agony and you run the risk of destroying the internals. Due to this limitation and the fact that you get full boost by about 2800 RPM or so with the boost coming on as early as a K24 (stock) I would suggest to you that this is a sweet option. I like it.

Software: rs2 software can be had for maybe $1500.00 unless you know someone. My mechanic in Denver says he knows a guy who burns it for cheaper - I'm going to find out more info. You could also talk to Javad at 034efi - he's got a solution too and would no doubt be happy to talk your ear off about the turbos (garretts) he sells too.

From here, you start to add the little knick knacks - samco hoses that won't blow up with bigger boost (or duct tape!), diverter valve if yours is old and crappy and honks at you, depending on the software - maybe bigger injectors or a fuel pressure regulator... maybe stock.

I suggest you go to 034efi.com and call up Javad. I really think they are the most knowledgeable folks out there that are actually willing to take time with you on the phone to see if they can help you. He gives honest advice and his products are top notch and generally not over the top cost wise. The customer support makes anything you get from him worth it in my opinion.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YGM
Old 12-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: it starts to get a bit more expensive now, sadly.

Thanks for the info...In regards to what you mentioned about any running 17 psi. I read a thread that said you don't want to run an after market boost gauge off of one of the 3 or 4 intake outlets under the throttle-body. Is this a false reading or should I tee it off another line somewhere else? Don't know if I am getting a false reading.

Also, if I understand, I need to replace the software again if I want anymore power out of my setup. and also go to a bigger turbo, injectors, hoses, and exhaust.

Again thanks for info, much appr.