No more filmy greasy windshield...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 05:32 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more filmy greasy windshield...

Just wanted to say thanks to a couple of you who pointed to a few tips and sources for info on the TYP44 heater core replacement procedure. Went off without a hitch, it's actually not that bad of a job and I had no problems getting the box back together once I had split it, just had to wiggle one flap around to line up. I was surprised the find the replacement heater core did not fit through the square opening in the airbox without a scary amount of force. Completed in near 5 hours, just a bit over including talking breaks and mild cursing time when breaking the box free from the car. I found the best way to break the bottom free was with a breaker bar from inside, press on each corner. On the outside I used the breaker bar and tapped it through the seal in a few spot and applied slow pressure until the seal gave.

The old core was most definitely leaking, never got my feet wet but left a nice limey grimey schmutz all inside the box. Instead of smelling look coolant now the heat smells like new heater core, a cross between popcorn and glue cooking simultaneously, leave on HI and drive with windows open for a few days.

A few tips that might be useful or set a mind at ease:

Push from inside at the lower corners of the box to help release lower end from the seal.

Unbolt the hard A/C line at the coolant tank and firewall, gently bend so it's not in the way when giving birth to box.

Didn't find any problems with needing to mark flaps or remember anything specific, all the flaps are keyed and only go together one way.

Maybe put the lower flexible boot on the bottom of the box on after reinstalling the box, it got lathered in black silicone when I put the box back in and I also had to flip it, had it upside down and it's very easily installed after the box is.

Again thanks to everyone with tips/advice and no one needs to be too afraid of this job, really it's quite easy, mildly time consuming.

Kicking myself for not replacing the blower motor, but such is life

Found the steering rack also leaks into the car at it's input shaft, kids never use ATF in your hydraulic system. Someone previous to my ownership did and I have a feeling over the next few months the car will need every last hydraulic component replaced. Front brakes fully replaced, drop kicked the old useless Delta radio as well (literally), fixed a non-shutting door, preparing for a propshaft carrier bearing replacment soon along with new rear brakes (rotten as could be), brake lines all around, a very unloved car previous to this point in time. Hoorah for the TYP$$!

Cheers!
Old 01-16-2005, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Way to go! Thanks for heater core BTDT.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Delta radio

What did you replace the Delta radio with?
Old 01-17-2005, 02:06 PM
Former Vendor

Default A lightly used Blaupunkt CD/MP3 head unit...

which I stole from a dead 5000s at the family house in NY during the holidays. On the trip from VT to NY the Delta quit entirely and left me with a 7 hour traffic and rain filled radioless drive, nearly went insane (usually a 4 1/2 hour drive). So I just snagged what was around, it's fairly new, can't remember which unit it is. It's only powering the front speakers for the moment while I decide what to do with the rears, wagons have no Bose but still have amp'd rear speakers in the doors. I may tear those out and toss in non-amplified speakers, maybe do Focal all around the car and leave it at that for now. Possibly add a small sub in one of the side pockets in the boot with the amp in the spare tire well.

Cheers,