oil cooler lines

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler lines

I have a 1987 Audi 5000 sedan. It is a standard. It comes equipped with something called an oil cooler, which has two lines that run the engine ol down to it through the filter, presumably to be cooled. Now, one of these lines is leaking, and the cost to replace the line is absolutely absurd. It is the sort of thing that makes one think of garden hoses and clamps, or at least putting the car in neutral and heaving it over a cliff. But, lest I lose my paltry investment, are any of you out there aware of what might happen should I merely disconnect the oil cooler and plug the holes? I also own an Audi 5000 that is an automatic, which is now gracing my driveway because the tranny blew, and this vehicle does not come equipped with an oil cooler, though it is but one year older. Was this an optional feature that I can get rid of, or by so doing am I ensuring a swift death by boiling oil?
Thank you so much, Lizzie
Old 08-23-2003, 08:04 AM

Default Fix it, cheap....

A turbo works under extreme environments. As oil is sent to it for lubrication, the oil is subjected to a lot of heat. That's why the turbo cars come with an oil cooler to help the oil survive and help keep the engine healthy.
Do not remove the oil cooler.

The oil lines' contruction are their weak point. The crimps aren't stainless steel, so they tend to corrode to the point of cracking apart and the hoses blow off the fittings.
ADVICE TO EVERYONE:
The fittings should be checked often, at least at every oil change. If you find a failing crimp, or just feel nervous about their condition, place a stainless steel hose clamp around them to keep them from falling off.

If you need the replace your lines, you can have them rebuilt if the end fittings are in good shape. Any trucking or farm equipment, hydraulics supply shop, can usually rebuild the hoses for about $25. They'll replace the hose if needed, and attch the fittings with new crimps.

Can't help ya with the automatic, I would never own one due to their faults.
If you can't find a used tranny, then push that car off a cliff. ;-)

HTH,
Will
Old 08-26-2003, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Fix it, cheap....

well i had teh wonderful experience of my oil cooler line popping off teh fitting, i lost all oil and no wneed a new turbo