Ordered a new heater core today- ugh- any tips (I've found some stuff )

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered a new heater core today- ugh- any tips (I've found some stuff )

From what I've found here, this job will be at the edge of my experience working on cars- not really looking forward to it at all, but I'm tired of the puddle on the passenger mat every morning when I get to work. Any special tools anyone would recommend? What does everyone use to re-seal the heater box? Any tips on marking the flaps before I break open the box? Anybody want to come to Steamboat Colorado and do this for me? lol...
Old 09-27-2006, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Ordered a new heater core today- ugh- any tips (I've found some stuff )

I was also very intimidated to do this job from what I had read about it but it's not that hard. Some pointers..
1. Take the hood off the car. So much easier to access.

2. As for the flaps, they stay connected at one end of the box and only go back together one way so I don't see how to mess those up.

3. As for sealing around the box, I used the same goopy seal that Audi sells to go around the rear tail light. I think this is an excellent application for that stuff.

4. No special tools needed. Just a long screwdriver, say 6inches or so

5. Make sure you mark where the hoses connect to both inside the car and at the heater core.

6. I read numerous posts about how hard it was to get that heater box "unstuck" from the firewall but I found it to not be difficult at all. Once the hood is removed (as per #1 above) I stood on the driver side of car and grabbed the box on the opposite end and pulled toward me and it gave way. Then I stood on the pass side of car and grabbed box on the opposite side and pulled toward me again and it came loose with no aggrevation. It's worth noting that mine was original and had never been touched so I think this is a good method.

7. You may as well install a new blower motor while your in there doing this other work. If yours is original then I'm sure it's only a matter of time. Kill two birds with one stone.

HTH

Randolph
87 5KCSTQ
93 928GTS
Old 09-27-2006, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: write-up mit pix

Here's a well illustrated version from Chris Miller's website for 200q20v versions. If your car is older (why does everyone here expect everyone else to remember what model/year they're asking about?????), the bit about the flap motor may not apply.<ul><li><a href="http://members.aol.com/c1j1miller/climate.html#Heater%20blower">Chris Miller's website heater core reports</a></li></ul>
Old 09-27-2006, 10:15 AM

it's a '90 200 qt- I think Chris' site scares me more than anything else when I look at this job- lol- I'm seriously thinking of taking her into the garage on this one- going back &amp; forth on it- don't want to spend the $$, but don't want to spend three days on this either. Defintiely got way more than I bargained for on this car- it drives nice, but man, these Audi's have problems! Even the stereo speakers are a hassle in this thing! Live &amp; learn, I guess.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Watch out for the two hidden screws when splitting the heater/blower box apart. Otherwise it is a piece of cake.