possible new owner with questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible new owner with questions

Hello everyone. I went and saw a 1987 5000 cs standard shift today and when i put the a/c or heat on, i heard a loud roar, rumble coming from behind the dash. very very loud and annoying!!. i know when a small leaf gets into the blower motor it makes a small annoying noise but this was loud. Plus no air was coming through the vents, dash or defrost. I no the a/c compressor kicked on because i heard the fan clutch and the idle raised. Anybody ever experience this. I dont care if the a/c works just need heat. Thank you.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well if you turn it on and you hear a roar I'd say you either having something obstructing your blower motor or the blower motor itself is bad. The procedure to change the blower the 'right' way is tedious, but there is an alternate method that makes this job bearable if you dont mind cutting a little plastic.

Search blower motor replacement and you'll get the idea.

This car has the digital climate control box in the dash. That box reports back to a vacuum distributor valve that opens and closes flappers to redirect the air as desired through the cabin. There are some points of this system that cause issues, but overall its pretty reliable for 20+ year old automatic climate control.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

My money's on plastic fan wheel rubbing on desicated rodent scull....that makes kind of a vibrating roar(been there). Could be bearing..You might get lucky and it's just a rodent nest which you might be able to remove without removing the box. I've sprayed a contact cleaner with lube on the V8 and it not only made the fan run, but got rid of the noise.....worth a try. If you have to take the box out, do the core at the same time.....Tom
Old 08-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks guys, i fixed it, there was tons of junk in the blower. I bought the car for $950. 5sp, 134K miles, no rust at all. nice car. Found a lot of tune up parts cheap on autohaus az.com. few questions though. i called the audi dealer and they didnt have the turbo oil filter(extra oil filter) part number 035115591. i cant seem to find it anywhere either. Anyone know where to get one. thanks . also any way round the two tools to do the timing belt? i planm on getting the $110 sweet deal on blauparts for that big kit.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Your 87 CS should not use the separate turbo oil filter. I believe those went away with the 85 turbo KH motor. Autohaus has them if you search by "Part Number".
Old 08-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i no there is tons of threads on spark plugs, but it didnt really help me reading 10 differnet ones. What kind are people using. autohuas has the same ones that the dealer sells for 2 bucks cheaper a plug. they also sell one for $1.54 a piece that say they supperceed the facctory bosch that are no longer avialable. i got autolites in there now.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

The factory bosch W7DTC are NLA use NGK BP6ET in place of them.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks! i am a mechanic and we have alldata at work, and it says not to use 10w40 in the engine. i wonder why. strange. i put it in many many 80's 90's european cars i have owned with no problems. any suggestios on oil? i live in Connecticut and will be driving this thing in the winter only. also. how about power steering fluid, and manual trans/differential fluid? thanks in advance.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Motor oil 10W40 works just fine and is what I would recommend year round or possibly 20w50 in the summer time castrol GTX. Main thing is to run a German filter mann or mahle you can get Mann's for cheap at advanceauto so no excuses. Power steering is personal preference A: choose to spend$$ on the factory hydraulic fluid pentosin 7.1 or 11.s since your car is a 5ktq it should be on 7.1 non-synth. Mobil 1 atf works too helps swell the seals in leaky system. I personally have switched all my cars to redline power steering fluid along with adding an inline magnetic filter. Some have used bulk tractor hydraulic fluid too. Gear oil motul gear 300 or the factory stuff from audi. Rear diff can use the motul too or redline 75W90 GL5 spec (a little cheaper). The important thing with tranny/diff oil is GL4 in the trans GL5 in the diff.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks alot for the info! so the diff and gearbox dont share the same fluid, they have different fill and drain plugs? i was under the impression from the owners manual that they both take a combined 2.8 quarts. also, as far as the timing belt are concerned, do you have any tips, like front grill removal or anything on the special tools?? thanks again in advance.

Quick Reply: possible new owner with questions