Rear brake job. Can someone point me in the right direction

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake job. Can someone point me in the right direction

My driver side rear brake is hanging up now and then. That wheel is getting lot's of dust on it and when I get out of the car sometimes I smell burning brake, and can feel heat off that wheel. I touched the rotor quickly the other day and it was way too hot.

Anyway, that caliper is original and I've had trouble before with it in the past. I'm not interested in cleaning and re-lubing it. I want to replace it with a new one along with the carrier bracket with new slider pins. I'll also do pads and rotor. Pass side I'll just do pads and rotor as the caliper was replaced about 5yrs ago and it's been fine.

I've never done brakes before so it's time I learn. I understand bleeding (I know requires 2 people) and I've watched friends do it and help is available to me if I need but I prefer to do it myself. What is the best bet for the brake tool (not sure what its called) needed to do the rear brakes that let you push and turn at the same time? Can I get this at Sears? Anyone care to recommend a brand they are using? I don't mind buying the proper tools as that's still much cheaper than having a shop do it and then I own the tool.

I'm assuming it's a fairly straight forward job, but is there anything that will catch me totally off guard since It's an old Audi? Any general tips are welcome also. TIA

R
Old 03-01-2011, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

www.speedbleeders.net

make it a one person job ;-)

As for getting a complete reman caliper, with carrier good luck with that.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Unless I missed it, I presume this is a 5000 or similar animal.

I know this is a european site, but check out the calipers
http://sites.internet.lu/folders/cus...100_200_v8.htm

No idea if that is a help or not, but you never know...
Old 03-01-2011, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by V8QinNJ
www.speedbleeders.net

make it a one person job ;-)

As for getting a complete reman caliper, with carrier good luck with that.
That link doesn't work but I googled "speedbleeders" and came up with a site that sells them for cars and motorcycles. Is that the place? They don't have Audi listed under their car section so I'm not sure. Eitherway this is a handy product. Do you know what size I need to order? This is on an 87 5KCSTQ. Thanks.

AV8RUK, this is on an 87 5KCSTQ. I have the CAC exhaust system. He has some nice stuff. I love the sound of my exhaust but I have a problem with the center hanger breaking once or so a year. Other than that it's fine. I wasn't even aware he was selling brakes. Thanks. I think my next purchase from him will be one of those lovely wood shift *****. Even though I'm in the US, Paul made the transaction very easy when I bought the exhaust system.

R