Thinking of buying a V8 Quattro....any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 09:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a V8 Quattro....any suggestions?

I have two V8 Quattros for sale in my area, both 1990, both silver, both with 170xxx miles and both have the exact same options. I just want to know if there's any specifics to look for on the V8's? I know a few of the things on 200's, just not the V8's
Old 12-31-2014, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

At 170,000 miles they maybe about ready to become parts cars, The 5 speed manuals are the more desirable cars. The auto trany is a weak area if it has not been maintained. Check and see if there is a trans dip stick for it or just the tube cap. Hydraulic leaks everywhere in the system. Instrument cluster malfunctions because of poor solder joints. All parts are hard to get or find. The wiring is getting old and brittle. Try and find the lowest mile car with a good history. 5 speed with sport seats. Go Baby Go
Old 12-31-2014, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default V8q

Originally Posted by somekidwithanm4
I have two V8 Quattros for sale in my area, both 1990, both silver, both with 170xxx miles and both have the exact same options. I just want to know if there's any specifics to look for on the V8's? I know a few of the things on 200's, just not the V8's
Yes. Look for a 92-94 (actually there are no true 94s because production ended in Nov of '93 and remaining cars were sold as 94 models). The 4.2 engine provides the power the car needs (the 3.6 in the 1990 and 1991 feel anemic in comparison). Also, these additional features appear in 1992:

1. 4.2 engine
2. Servotronic PS
3. Brake conversion to G60
4. BBS wheels
5. Remote entry
6. New climate control system
7. Passenger side airbag
8. More modern seat controls
9. Locking gas flap
10. Straight out exhaust tips

This car wasn't meant for a stick. You're better off with a '91 20 valve 200 for that. This is an Autobahn cruiser, not a sports car.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default V8q

Good points by V8BOB; the 5 speed would be the strongest matchup for the 3.6 engine. The V8q is a very expensive car to maintain even before 100k. You really need a parts car to go along with it. Terrible gas mileage has become an issue. The A8 weighed 500 pounds less due to the ASF design.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

*shrug* I don't think the V8 is that expensive to maintain. Maybe more expensive than other cars for its time, but if you think it's expensive to maintain a V8, you're going to go bankrupt trying to maintain any new, modern car out of warranty. Just imagine what the electronics in todays cars cost. That being said,

I bought a 1993 V8 with 125K miles last February. I paid $2000. I've put about $1700 into it bringing it back two perfection...over $500 of that was tires. These cars are simple to work on. Maybe the last simple Audi there was. Everything I've done to it, I was able to do myself in my garage with the exception of new fuel lines. I removed the factory ones in my garage, and had them replicated at a hose shop, and installed the new ones. I also had to have an aluminum transmission cooling line brazed. Beyond that, I bought the parts and replaced myself. Easy. The list of stuff I've done includes:

Ignition and crank sensors. They're buried, but doable. This was probably the most difficult as you have to look at it and try various ways to get in there to replace. Oxygen sensor, full tuneup (caps, rotors, plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, etc etc etc.), fuel pressure regulator, blower motor, and fuel pump. Oh yeah, I had chip in the windshield repaired. Next on the list is a throttle position sensor, and the crankcase breather hoses as I smell a little oil after I drive. I'll have the timing belt done around 140,000. The transmission shifts beautifully (better than my '14 Outback 3.6/5EAT, actually) and it's just an all-around fun car. Biggest downside is the 16.1mpg average on my last tank (cold weather, city driving). The V8 is a fun toy. If you can find a properly sorted one, or have the time to sort it out yourself, you'll have a great car. I'd personally look for a 4.2, but the 3.6 is fun as well.

Last edited by TurboA6; 01-01-2015 at 12:44 PM. Reason: 16.1mpg, not 16.1mph. I'm not a geezer.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I spent an hour responding to this, and it got eaten for some reason so this will be brief. Have 13yrs into a V8 addiction, and am the wrong person to steer you away. Gonna paraphrase everything so it doesn't get lost again.
Bob verified the common problems.
All the parts cars (6) that I've had in my possesion/3 of them suffered from the "filled for life" tranny issue, and got parted because after putting another good tranny in, it's not worth the time.
The other 3 got fixed and the Black car that was owned by an elderly couple since 94(it was a 91) is hitting 280K and burning almost no oil.
You need a parts car from day 1 if you want to own these cars.
I've got the original '90 Lago that I got with 52K in 02 and it's perfect except for the headliner(common)
My 91 5-speed is sooooo much more of a car than the Auto.
ABH (4.2) is only 20hp more/more torque than the 3.6(which can be ABT chipped for 30+)....no chip for the ABH except for IA and while it's back on board, unless something's changed, not that exciting. ABH's get worse mileage/smoke way more(personal observation). 92-94 way less ever imported(91 5-speed only 74+-) than the earlier so parts/parts cars even harder to find. Earlier cars were 60K/7yrs for belt/later were 75K. If looking @ 90 170K, pull upper fan/drivers cover to check belt. 5-speed is desireable over auto, but if you can get auto cheap, I"d say go for it....Ha. Auto's never came with tranny dipstick, so if it's got the NLA dealer $39 dipstick, great, otherwise, 22-1/2" from top of dipstick tube to good level. 3 cars I parted due to bad tranny("filled for life with original Dexron"). If old belt/low tranny, offer $500-? as belt parts are $500 and require major surgery....indy shop would be $1500. If one's dead, offer $500/less and it's your parts car. ..I'm in it for the long haul...Love these cars. Tom
Old 01-03-2015, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Where are you located?

Where are you located? Maybe someone in the collective knows of a good solid example that you may be interested in.

Bob
Old 01-04-2015, 01:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by toml99
I spent an hour responding to this, and it got eaten for some reason so this will be brief. Have 13yrs into a V8 addiction, and am the wrong person to steer you away. Gonna paraphrase everything so it doesn't get lost again.
Bob verified the common problems.
All the parts cars (6) that I've had in my possesion/3 of them suffered from the "filled for life" tranny issue, and got parted because after putting another good tranny in, it's not worth the time.
The other 3 got fixed and the Black car that was owned by an elderly couple since 94(it was a 91) is hitting 280K and burning almost no oil.
You need a parts car from day 1 if you want to own these cars.
I've got the original '90 Lago that I got with 52K in 02 and it's perfect except for the headliner(common)
My 91 5-speed is sooooo much more of a car than the Auto.
ABH (4.2) is only 20hp more/more torque than the 3.6(which can be ABT chipped for 30+)....no chip for the ABH except for IA and while it's back on board, unless something's changed, not that exciting. ABH's get worse mileage/smoke way more(personal observation). 92-94 way less ever imported(91 5-speed only 74+-) than the earlier so parts/parts cars even harder to find. Earlier cars were 60K/7yrs for belt/later were 75K. If looking @ 90 170K, pull upper fan/drivers cover to check belt. 5-speed is desireable over auto, but if you can get auto cheap, I"d say go for it....Ha. Auto's never came with tranny dipstick, so if it's got the NLA dealer $39 dipstick, great, otherwise, 22-1/2" from top of dipstick tube to good level. 3 cars I parted due to bad tranny("filled for life with original Dexron"). If old belt/low tranny, offer $500-? as belt parts are $500 and require major surgery....indy shop would be $1500. If one's dead, offer $500/less and it's your parts car. ..I'm in it for the long haul...Love these cars. Tom
I must say, it has been your advice and help that has made V8 ownership relatively easy. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2015, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Where are U located?.....There's a non listed 5-speed for sale in CA pretty sure......Tom
Old 01-06-2015, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Get the nicest example you can find if you have the time... I jumped onto the first one I could find. It's been an expensive love affair, but well worth it.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a V8 Quattro....any suggestions?