...and turbo carnage ensued...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ...and turbo carnage ensued...

Well, after 12 hours of wrenching yesterday (save about 2 hours for some sportscenter highlights, dinner, and a 20 mile trip to get some gasket material to rebuild the mushy gaskets that were the cause of the problem in the first place...) I have the old turbo out, new turbo in, all lines removed and cleaned, replaced, and the car fired up the way it was supposed to.

The cause of the turbo failure was a tiny piece of gasket material that flaked off and found itself resting directly on top of the oil restrictor of the oil line which blocked the oil flow leading to the untimely (and ultimately quite expensive) demise of the less than 2000 mile turbo. So, let this be a lesson to me, and to you as well - make DAMN sure to not let any gaskets overlap into the inlet / outlet segment of the turbo lines... it was a costly mistake... and pulling out a turbo without upgrading it is a really frustrating, horrible thing to have to do in my opinion - especially one the size of the GT2871 on a stock manifold - you can't imagine the tightness of the bolts.

I went to town on the housing of the new turbo, though to clearance the nuts... and also took that stupid ^@#$ing ridge off the bottom of all of the nuts via dremel tool cut off wheel... highly advisable maneuver because it allows you to use the wrench on the full length of the nut, not just the top. Its a really tight fit.

The gasket material I used was found at autozone for an (EGR? valve)... its the metal sandwich type - and though I was afraid of leaking, so far it has yet to be a problem... granted I really haven't built any oil pressure but to start and run the car for 30 seconds... but hey... it hasn't leaked a drop all night which is good.

the old turbo is quite trashed - the cold side has been beaten up pretty well inside, as has the hotside housing - both turbines are UGLY... like someone rammed a screwdriver in there while spinning ugly... and I also found 5 little ball bearings in my oil drain line where it meets the block.

I'll post pictures of the carnage a bit later on - I even made a documentary video (22 seconds) of the little bastard gasket piece that cost me all this aggravation in the first place.

Interesting, though, thinking back - remember all the overheating that this turbo was doing when I first installed it? I'm beginning to wonder how long this turbo ran on zero oil... if it was a while - its certainly a testament not to the quick death of the the garrets, but oppositely to their unbeleivable robustness (is this a word?) in harsh conditions (ie. my stupid ***).

I'm confident this time that there is no gasket material floating around, especially after the oil and filter change... but on my 100 mile trip home I'm still going to stop every 20 miles to remove the oil supply line and make sure there are no obstructions... I've got to be super careful not to blow up another one of these.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ohhh oww ouchie the pain <in the wallet>

glad you got it fixed!
Old 04-23-2006, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, just wow. amazing it lasted that long without oil. hope you're trouble free from here!!