Vibrations/shacking while driving, can u help me diagnos?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibrations/shacking while driving, can u help me diagnos?

Hi i just recently replaced my outer tie rod on the drivers side because it was really bad. The guy tested it by raising the car in the front and shacking the tire back and forth. It was moving probably 2 inches at least, so I replaced the tie rod end.

This seemed to fix my shacking problem while turning. But I still have some strange shakes and vibrations while i drive. I'm not sure what else can fail in the front suspension and is there any way i can test it at home. Any help is always appreciated!
Old 03-25-2005, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default check out both of your front tires carefully looking for uneven wear...........

bad tie rod can cause major tire wear problems like shakes and vibrations. A good front end alignment is probably needed too.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: check out both of your front tires carefully looking for uneven wear...........

Is the shaking speed related? Does the front of the car bounce quite a bit when going over bumps? Try bouncing the front end of the car up and down and see how long it take to settle back. Your front strut might needs to be replace.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good thought audiqv8, bad struts will cause Sunthief's problems
Old 03-25-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Car recovers from bounce great.....

The car's shock's/struts seem to be fine, I can shake the car and it stops bouncing in less then 2 bounces. The tire definitly have uneven wear, I've been in need of an alignment for a while now. I just didnt think the tires would cause this much of a shake, it really feals like something on the suspension. It does seem to be speed related too, it doesnt happen till I get up to 50 or so mph and the faster i go the worse it gets. Also it seems to be pretty bad when I'm slowing down as appossed to speeding up.

Is there any other front suspension parts that can cause a simular feal to a bad tie rod? Is there anything that could of been damaged by not replacing the tie rod end soon enough?

Thanks for the ideas so fare. I will get an alignment pretty soon and I am also Putting on a new set of rims & tires so the uneven old tires will not be an issue much longer.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:48 AM

Default When was the last time you had wheels/tires balanced???

The speed you are describing and "bounce" sounds like one or a few may be out of balance.
$8 bucks a tire and have them rotated as well...Done.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Car recovers from bounce great.....

The uneven wear can cause your wheels to be out of balance and cause this problem. Do you have a friend with a car? Have him drive along your side and have a second passenger observer your front wheels.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:49 AM

Default Thats Great!

Oh good, I'm glad its probably something simple like that! I was just worried it was something suspension oriented. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-25-2005, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Control arm bushings, out of round tire, unbalanced tire, etc...
Old 03-25-2005, 03:04 PM

Default How to check Control arm bushings???

Hey How can I test the control arm bushings??? Thanks for the ideas!

Quick Reply: Vibrations/shacking while driving, can u help me diagnos?