1991 Audi 90 2.3E fuel leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Audi 90 2.3E fuel leak

Hi all,
New to the Audi World bought a 1991 Audi 90 2.3E 10V FWD about 5 months ago.
From never having worked on a car I have learnt off the net.
Since then I have changed a cv joint, changed broken blinkers and lights,changed oil, oil filter and transmission oil.

Noticed my fuel efficiency took a dive then found fuel leaking from under the fuel injection/air filter area.
Could not locate the source of the leak after taking the front bumper, lights and everything else off to try and see the leak.
See photo:
Red - arrows showing where fuel leaks from.
Yellow - showing roughly where frame is that I cant see past to locate leak.
Green - showing air filter box location, how do I get that out?
Blue - showing all the stuff I am dreading taking appart to get to the air box and possible leake site below.

The car is my daily driver so I had to stop searching and put it back together from about 2pm sunday so it would be driveable Monday morning.
So far researching on the subject it seems that if the fuel injectors are leaking they could be expensive.
I have a second 1991 Audi 90 2.3E for parts and am considering swapping the whole fuel injection set up over.
Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated before I attempt this next weekend?
Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2012, 10:55 AM
x19
AudiWorld Member

Red - arrows showing where fuel leaks from.
Yellow - showing roughly where frame is that I cant see past to locate leak.
Green - showing air filter box location, how do I get that out?
Blue - showing all the stuff I am dreading taking appart to get to the air box and possible leake site below.

The car is my daily driver so I had to stop searching and put it back together from about 2pm sunday so it would be driveable Monday morning.
So far researching on the subject it seems that if the fuel injectors are leaking they could be expensive.
I have a second 1991 Audi 90 2.3E for parts and am considering swapping the whole fuel injection set up over.
Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated before I attempt this next weekend?
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=IDUA90sport;24297151]Hi all,
New to the Audi World bought a 1991 Audi 90 2.3E 10V FWD about 5 months ago.
From never having worked on a car I have learnt off the net.
Since then I have changed a cv joint, changed broken blinkers and lights,changed oil, oil filter and transmission oil.

Noticed my fuel efficiency took a dive then found fuel leaking from under the fuel injection/air filter area.
Could not locate the source of the leak after taking the front bumper, lights and everything else off to try and see the leak.
See photo:

Well,It's nice to see If you can take the picture of fuel distributor from top and side and we all know that Liquid leaks from top to bottom.
Probably, seam place on body of F/Distributor leaks or (and) loosen bolt on each pipe (fuel delivering hose) fitting, This is so rare but check them and 3 screw on F/Distributor as well.
Also, seal on DFP front of F/Distributor.
If you didn't see the leakage from the explanation, may be inside (bottom ) of F/Distributor that you have to raise the F/Distributor complete and see what is condition on PLUNGER (kind of PISTON)
BTW, Is your car R/Hand Drive? Any way, Good luck. x19
Old 05-08-2012, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Will take some close up pics and post them.
Trouble being there no leak until I look under the air filter box from underneath the car and the drips are coming through the frame.
Last night I took the F/Distributor out of the parts car, see pic.
Tonight I will take out the air filter box and have a look.

And yes the car is right hand drive as I live in Australia and we drive on the wrong, I mean, left side of the road.
Thanks for your reply.

Originally Posted by x19
Well,It's nice to see If you can take the picture of fuel distributor from top and side and we all know that Liquid leaks from top to bottom.
Probably, seam place on body of F/Distributor leaks or (and) loosen bolt on each pipe (fuel delivering hose) fitting, This is so rare but check them and 3 screw on F/Distributor as well.
Also, seal on DFP front of F/Distributor.
If you didn't see the leakage from the explanation, may be inside (bottom ) of F/Distributor that you have to raise the F/Distributor complete and see what is condition on PLUNGER (kind of PISTON)
BTW, Is your car R/Hand Drive? Any way, Good luck. x19
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2012, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IDU,

Get ahold of the slim little owner's manual (fits in the glove-box) that will detail how to access the air cleaner under the F/distributor. Use that procedure to aid the hunt for your leak.

IIRC, your fuel system has a pressure accumulator back by the pump/tank that may keep the system pressurized (briefly in your case) with the engine off. Use your ignition key to cycle the fuel pump and re-pressurize as required.

Take care not to have a fire, and have an extinguisher ready.

Together, the above should allow you to find the fault. Please report back.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok, had a look at the owners manual and the Haynes repair manual for Audi 90's, plus a bit more research on the net.
general consensus seemed to point towards replacing the whole fuel injection unit rather than repairing it.
Removed the fuel injection and can see that the leak was coming from there, leaking into and through the air filter.
Swapped in a differentfuel injection out of my parts car.
Got it all back together on Saturday afternoon and the car now runs well with no fuel leak.

I will now look into getting a fuel distributor seal service kit to repair the spare.

Another interesting thig is that the car was idling at 1000, with the non leaky distributors it now idles at 800.

What is the correct idling speed for an Audi 90 2.3e sport?
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Lago Blue
IDU,

Get ahold of the slim little owner's manual (fits in the glove-box) that will detail how to access the air cleaner under the F/distributor. Use that procedure to aid the hunt for your leak.

IIRC, your fuel system has a pressure accumulator back by the pump/tank that may keep the system pressurized (briefly in your case) with the engine off. Use your ignition key to cycle the fuel pump and re-pressurize as required.

Take care not to have a fire, and have an extinguisher ready.

Together, the above should allow you to find the fault. Please report back.
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2012, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re: Correct idle speed. I don't know but 800 can't be too far off.