1994 to 1996 Engine & Transmission Swap Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 to 1996 Engine & Transmission Swap Question

Since 1999 I have owned a 1994 emerald green Cabriolet which was parked and totaled due to minor front end damage recently, though I still have it. The driver just paid me cash in lieu of it going on her insurance. Yeah! The engine has been well maintained and has performed exceptionally for 160,000 miles in those . The entire transmission was replaced for about $3500 about 10,000 miles ago.

Now I have the "opportunity" to put both into a 1996 Cabriolet with low miles that probably needs major engine and/or transmission work. So, my question to any experts out there is, Is this doable, especially the transmission part due to, iirc, slight changes and any other component location and/or electrical wiring changes? Any other recommendations, please?

Also, if known please estimate about how many hours of work for a decent mechanic in a shop will be required? Thanks for reading.

cheers, md
seattle
Old 02-19-2018, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

engine will swap with some minor sensor swapping as the cars were OBD-2 in 1996. as for the trans, no idea. we swapped in a manual into my friends 97 cab, took us 4 or 5 days with a lift.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank-you so much for this and all your posts, many of which I have come across in my recent searches of all things cabriolet/90 ! As an owner of my rig since 1999 (18+ years), I appreciate your experience and knowledge.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, That's a long ownership. Show us some pictures of the car.
You are right 1994 cars are a bit different than 1996 and up models. The electrical system is updated and the cooling system a little bit too.Transmission and engine will bolt on perfectly, all locations wiould be the same but as Yuriy said 1996 is OBD2 car. Its doable and if you are able to take off the whole drivetrain then you would probably be able to take all electrics and parts apart, and even the dashboard and some wiring. The cabriolet is very easy to take apart in the interior when the roof is down.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

After coming to terms with the work and unknowns involved and, more importantly, not having a good flat location for staging, etc., I have chosen to go in another direction. I am just going to keep my rig, make it safely driveable with only necessary parts replaced. The "crasher" wanted to keep the "accident" off her insurance record and gave me cash and I will keep the cab as old habits die hard. There is really not all that much damage but it would have been (is) totaled by ins. despite my regular maintenance history, subsequent lack of any problems over the years with all the essentials working properly, the current utility and value to me. I have never taken it to a shop except once for a locking problem easily solved by the experienced tech.
So, If anyone can help with parts or advice, please contact me. I am hoping to buy locally: 1) a replacement green hood with safety latch lever which can come from an audi90. It also needs 2) the top radiator support, 3) (passenger) right side headlight and parking light (turn signal), associated light holding platform (IDK what the part name is. help here?)and rubber trim. Est. cost of these parts is about $350. About 12 hours of labor (not including paint/prep) and It should appear ok.

It would be nice to get the 4) hood plastic grill and trim replaced and the 5) large wide bottom plastic piece surrounding the bumper (blue in the picture because I replaced it once previously). Do you or anyone know what it is termed?