1996 Audi Cab -- misfire/running rich and lean/can't drive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Audi Cab -- misfire/running rich and lean/can't drive?

Hey guys,

I got a 1996 Audi Cab with 83k on it just a week and a half ago. Car has been running great up until today. Now it seems like it isn't getting enough fuel... motor starts and idles fine, but when you rev it, it will go to 4k then cut off and go all the way back to 1k... also when you hit the accelerator the RPMs will dip down a little... after it really warms up it will only rev to about 2k then dip back down regardless of how hard the pedal is pushed. I took it to local garage and his recommendation was the idle control valve and fuel filter, which I don't think is right? My guess is the throttle body... any insight? I need this car fixed ASAP for as little as possible. I have seen used throttle bodies for pretty cheap -- thoughts?
Old 12-18-2012, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can treat the ICV with WD40 pretty easily. Take it off, fill with WD49, shake up and empty out. It works sometimes.

Are you getting any check engine light?

Check 12v.org for TONS of info on the engine.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

no check engine light... I will check that out and give it a shot.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I should also mention that there about 16 error codes, one of which was the accelerator potentiometer which is on the throttle body.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Post the error codes - it might help

I once left the wiring harness that connects to the throttle body off. It did some REALLY weird stuff.

Also, I had a bad TPS on the TB from my old Audi 90.....

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=Tps
Old 12-18-2012, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

It sounds to me like the throttle position sensor is having issues. There is either a loose wire running to it, or the sensor itself is shot.

HOWEVER: It is possible that the mounting point for your throttle cable has come loose. Have a friend sit in the vehicle (car being off is fine) and step on the gas. Watch the throttle cable where it's held steady, right before the throttle body itself.

A loose throttle cable can cause that throttle body plate to wiggle around and cause your sensors to think you're having more serious issues than you actually are.

The cable idea was just a thought, but it sounds really wierd that you go from great running to complete crap in the blink of an eye. It's GOT to be something really simple, dude.

Another thing? Try wiggling your battery cables where they connect to the battery itself. Is either of them loose enough to be able to move around when you wiggle it? That would DEFINITELY be something to give you these issues you've explained.

But definitely plug in a code reader, and post whatever codes you find... Because you could be looking at anything from a clogged catalytic converter to a clogged fuel filter to a loose knock sensor. There are a LOT of possibilities, here. I'm just throwing the easy stuff first.

Good luck,
LG
Old 12-19-2012, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

just got the ICV off, off to get some WD40... gonna see if I can snag a fuel filter to get that done as well..
Old 12-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

you guys can see the problem here. cleaned ICV, added SeaFoam to gas tank and motor, no help. has to be the throttle body/related part?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

should add -- this happened a day after filling some gas from a new gas station. I'm a little superstitious lol. also please excuse the music, forgot the turn the volume down.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

ps call me stupid but I can't find the edit button. throttle cable looked fine and seemed to work from what I could tell with someone in the car pressing the accelerator and me watching it under the plenum.

Quick Reply: 1996 Audi Cab -- misfire/running rich and lean/can't drive?