2 things...1/ Chicago Auto Show, the Audi stand had cars that were all Autos, no Manuals at all...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 things...1/ Chicago Auto Show, the Audi stand had cars that were all Autos, no Manuals at all...

I asked a zone mgr. about it and he told me that the new type Audi owner that Audi is targeting prefers autos, because manuals are too hard to use.
There for Audi will start bringing in more autos to a ratio of 4 to 1. He said manuals may become an option with Audis sold in the USA. Also on the Audis I saw at the show, the carpets in these cars were made of high end felt...not the quality carpets they put in my CQ or my ladies 90CS. I also asked the zone mgr about that too and he explained that Audi had to compromise on the materials in the cars to make the cars come with the options and toys buyers wanted. So the carpets were made of a lesser material. He says that new owners never look at the carpets anyway. he's right when you think about it.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

Either that or he's feeding you total BS.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Think so...why would he do that?
Old 02-09-2004, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Think so...why would he do that?

Well, zone managers don't always know everything...They may think they do, but they don't ;-)

Besides, why would Audi, who is targeting BMW, bring in 80% of their cars as automatics? They'll do whatever BMW does, as far as importation #'s.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hijak: Audi seems to be driving up into the yuppy market here in the US

I was just wondering last night while watching WRC Sweden, why are there no Audi's? I mean wtf this <i>is</i> Rallycross!?! I thought maybe because they aren't interested in building smaller coupes anymore since high class yuppies don't drive coupes but luxurious sport sedans...
Sorry for the generalization if there are any yupies driving 90's ;D but Audi to me is a vehicle with impecable mechanical engineering and can take a serious *** whooping, and all the sleeper factor you could ever want. Now they seem to have changed focus. Anyone else feel like this? Maybe it's just me(?) I have lost no love for Audi's at all, just curious about their 'direction' in the American market. Oh well
blah blah blah I know sorry!
Old 02-09-2004, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Hijak: Audi seems to be driving up into the yuppy market here in the US

Audi hasn't done factory backing for years, since the early '90's. However, Audi Sport does still sell parts. The cost is the large factor. Rally cars have to be "cheap" with easy to obtain parts. No current Audi fits that bill. A SEAT or Skoda does, sort of. The 206/207 Peugoet, Lancer Evo, WRX STi, SVT Focus, etc all more than easily fit that bill.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Damn American pu$$ies that can't drive stick
Old 02-09-2004, 08:49 AM

Default uh.. have you looked at BMW lately ?

automatics have been their bread and butter for a long time. the 7 series is ONLY automatic, and 5 series manuals are increasingly rare. Certain 5 series models CANNOT be had with a manual shift (the E34 wagons, for instance).

The X5 with the big engine is auto only, they made an automatic E36 M3, etc etc.

BMW cashed in on the fact that a big chunk of their customer base will drive anything with a Blue and white propoeller all over it. BMW has been getting softer and heavier for a long time.

Matt
88 BMW M5 (5speed)
80 BMW 528i (5speed) (retired)
88 90Q (5speed)
2000 Passat Variant (5speed)
Old 02-09-2004, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Hijak: Audi seems to be driving up into the yuppy market here in the US

Also heard an interesting point from an Audi engeener who said that Audi has already proven in the mid-80's that they were the best in rally, they are now going "up" with the LeMans series..... it makes sens even if it makes me unhappy cause I like rally more than street race. Anyways, 90/90Qs, I;m happy that you feel the same way as I do about how Audi thinks in the US.... it's, unfortunatelly, not the same Audi as in 80's and 90's.....I love and respect Audi but it doesn't mean I always have to approve their mentality.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default And there's the whole getting (sort of) banned thing.

Didn't WRC or whatever it was put a whole bunch of restrictions on Audi and tell them they had to ditch the 5cyl or be banned? I thought the story was then that they gave up on rally and said "they had accomplished all that they needed to" and left it to Skoda to get their *** handed to them every time out. Companies competing in WRC, IIRC, are Subaru, Ford, Skoda, Peugeot, Citroen, Hyundai, and Mitsu.

Quick Reply: 2 things...1/ Chicago Auto Show, the Audi stand had cars that were all Autos, no Manuals at all...