all road mount install issuses/ idea to make it better?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all road mount install issuses/ idea to make it better?

Hello everyone.

I'll say it now first. I live in New england= RUST. I should of bought new 13mm bolts or maybe the kit should of came with them too? I had a bad day in general and I want to get my mind off of things so I figured I install the rear sway bar and the mounts. Me having a bad day has nothing to do with this install. I'm not taking out any anger towards the mounts and the install.

I'm just going to give a couple of opinions on the install.

If you choose to install the mounts by yourself and not have a shop do it. Make sure you have Gear wrenches. IF, I say if, you choose to use the stock bolt sizes. It's a very tight area for the typical motion of regular wrenches.

I had to jack up the tranny a bit to get my gear wrench over the 13mm bolt on the driver side.

I snapped in half both of the 13mm bolts on the passenger side. They were rusted to say the least. I did this at my friends shop and I didn't have bolts with me. So I drove home slowly.

I'm considering drilling out the threads in the all road mounts and sourcing longer bolts and lock nuts. It would of certainly made life easier.

Honestly shouldn't of this been considered? It's like this stock for reason?

So there is my little rant.

ttyl
Josh
Old 05-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Banned

Default Honestly..

The Allroad mounts where way easier to install then the stock mounts. I didnt have to deal with holding the nut on at the bottom while trying to spin the bolt with a wrench pull the mount off on both sides it should expose the bolt enough so you can twist it back out. Buy new bolts seriously isnt this something suggested for almost everything done from the Bentley/factory manual.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:41 PM

Default every one's got opinions. I honestly believe:

It would be faster to install with longer bolts and nuts.

Just my Two cents.

Tomorrow I will be getting new bolts. I would of done the swap with new bolts right from the begining but it was one of those nights where things were moving quickly and I hoped to just banged these out quickly so I could take a trip to New york.

Everything in life has it's reasons. Why we choose to make short cuts and everything else.

Unfortunately it didn't go my way.

ttyl
josh
Old 05-12-2005, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Expert

rust = teh ghey. i'm sorry u had to tangle with it today... certainly makes for a lousy time
Old 05-13-2005, 01:48 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It was probably a economical issue with Audi...

Not having to supply , and pay for several hundred thousand nuts & washers.

Auto manufacturers are always looking for ways to save money during the build process. Which results in increased profits. Eliminating those 4 nuts & washers probably made one of their engineers quite the bonus. ;O)
Old 05-13-2005, 08:37 AM
Banned

Default **** happens!

I am sure you know what you are doing from alot of your posts.. Iv tried to rush things a few times and usualy the only time rushing works out for me is when its on someone elses car. Good luck!