anyone ever had the tapered tie rod mount hole on the front strut assembly

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone ever had the tapered tie rod mount hole on the front strut assembly

wear out?
-Just curious, yesterday I was replacing my front tie rod assemblies and the tie rod stud was spinning in the hole while I was trying to loosen the nylock nut.
I honestly believe the nlyock nut had such a strong grip on the stud that it was spinning it because it took a <u>lot</u> of force, but I was just wondering about it for a couple of reasons:

1. when those tapered holes are worn out, it can cause catastrophic failure(tie rod stud snaps) if not replaced.
2. I imagine the strut housing is an item that's hard to find (although I haven't checked) and expensive!

Anyone have any thoughts?

Marty
Old 04-10-2006, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The nut and stud are probably just corroded together. New parts will work fine.

Use a vise-grip to grab the old tie-rod stud through the boot, and use penetrating oil, then wrench off the nut. You'll ruin the tie-rod end in the process, but the new one will fit in the steering arm nicely.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I got the nuts off no problem, just wondering about wear on this part because

my understanding is that on most cars, the tapered hole <i>will</i> wear during the service life of the car and wherever/whatever they are mounted to would need to be replaced. My recollection is that most cars do not require such a major part replacement. usually just an arm bolted onto the wheel hub or something(?)...

-incidentally, I replaced both front tierod ends ~4 months ago and then tried to have it aligned. The shop told me the threaded adjuster was siezed, stripped and pretty much F#$%'d. -He was not mistaken, I overlooked it when I replaced the ends : \. Anyway, you might be right about the rust, or maybe rust + nylon was a very tight hold, but I'm just concerned that I'll have to replace the strut housing part (-both sides) next time I do this job. And if I rallyX the car again in the future... hmmm

Just my projected thinking and a bit of a ramble anyway, I believe it is not worn out, but will be eventually so I was wondering if anyones had to deal with it.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That socket is not a wear part. The tie-rod end stud should never move relative to it...

so it should never wear. The only way it would wear is if the nuts are loose, allowing the stud to move and rub against the hole. Even then, I think if you torqued a new one in there properly it should work fine.