Auto trans to Manual Swap (sure been covered but i'm frustrated and didn't see it when i searched)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto trans to Manual Swap (sure been covered but i'm frustrated and didn't see it when i searched)

i have a 1993 audi 90s v6 12v front wheel drive. i'm sure this has been covered 1000 times but i'm frustrated and didn't see any real answers i was looking for during my search. my auto tranny has crapped out. also the CPU for that tranny has been bad for a while as well messing with the shifts from 3rd to 4th. my question is i can get a manual tranny for this car, i'm wondering what else is invovled in the swap, are the axles different, any plugs that are different, basially what am i getting myself into this car has been 1 thing after another.. i like the car i hate to crash it into a tree, light it on fire and laugh at it.. but i'm at about that point! i know my way around engines and everything i'm just looking for what suprises may pop up and if anyone knows a list of everything i'll need to do the swap would be helpfull. thanks
Old 03-08-2009, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default i'm not 100% sure but i don't think audi made 5speed FWD 90's....

i believe all the FWD ones came auto and all the Quattro's came 5speed. so as far as a manual FWD swap i doubt it can be done.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Absolutely CAN be done. Miktip's conversion was with a FWD.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Like you said, all the info there on the forum.

You have to hit search to find it.

A.) Why would the trans computer be causing the bad shift from 3rd to 4th? If they go bad, they go bad.

B.) You have to search the forum. All the info you need has been discussed many, many times before. It may sound like an easy swap but no swap is nearly as easy as it sounds in the end.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Like you said, all the info there on the forum.

it's atually when the car would kickdown from 4th to 3rd going up a hill it wouldn't kick back into 4th. the audi guy here said it sounded like a tranny cpu issue. i usually work on all old chevy and ford stuff so all this computer crap kicks my @ss
Old 03-08-2009, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Absolutely CAN be done. Miktip's conversion was with a FWD.

i found the tranny, it's mine if i want it i was just wondering what else i was getting into... like i said this happened this afternoon and i'm just pissed and aggrevated cuz i fix one thing on this car and something else goes W/O fail! and i've done head gaskets and timing belts and water pumps, mass air, the rear lights that go wacky, and i've suddenly started getting an idiot light for the oil that goes on for 10 seconds then pops off. and when doing a leakdown test there is no loss. but i'm refilling the coolant bottle once a week for some reason. i'm just getting at my wits end with this car thats why this post was put up in such haste. sorry if i offended anyone by not properly searching for longer than i did. i was just trying to find some info b4 i lost the rest of my mind.. thanks again
Old 03-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Lane Shark

Default Both 80's & 90's could come manual FWD

<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/model/">https://www.audiworld.com/model/</a</li></ul>
Old 03-08-2009, 09:01 PM

Default You would be better to sell that FWD and get a Quattro

I heard its a PITA to do, unless you have the skills and spare skin. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

110% agreed.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

2nd

Quick Reply: Auto trans to Manual Swap (sure been covered but i'm frustrated and didn't see it when i searched)