B4 snub receiver into B3

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B4 snub receiver into B3

This mod is fast easy cheap effective and invisble. It uses a part easily available at the wrecker's. It works <i>so</i> well, it's like the B4 part was made to allow this. It makes the car more enjoyable to drive by helping to steady your engine /tranmission assembly. As a result, low speed driving, getting on and off the accelerator, and shifting are all improved.

I actually started somewhere else. I liked what Fjasper's idea here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...highlight=idea

did for my 20v Coupe enough that I wanted more of that remaining drive-train motion / noise reduced.

Your experience may vary. Here's what I started with:

- two motor mounts that are probably fine;
- two original (each separated into a "volcano" and a "crater" half, but otherwise intact) tranny mounts shimmed as above; &
- one of Mance's lovely snub-mounts. I should point out that it is this particular part that is likely the key to this mod's <i>comfortable</i> success. Write him (I hope he is well) and by the time it arrives you can have gathered the receiver.

With the B4 snub receiver, a round file, a vice with some wooden blocks, one is able to quickly enlarge the existing OEM holes just slightly inward to match the B3 cross-member which you have removed from the car. By laying the B3 snub "shelf" back to back with the B4 snub "receiver", one can see where to enlarge the holes, trace with a scribe; and file and test fit; off the car.

Assemble the cross-member, small rad support and receiver with one bolt only, replace on the car, install second receiver bolt and button her up. Drive and enjoy!