cleaned my intake/gas consumption experiment

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaned my intake/gas consumption experiment/pix of the old one

so in the last few weeks Ive bean working on trying to get batter PMGs out of my car... head hooked up to a VAG-COM (btw, are u guys shore its group:008?, cause when i changed my potentiometer, nothing changes in the numbers, but group: 002 did) anyways, got it set to 128 in 002 and now i don't smell fuel out of my exhaust and i got about 22.5mpg now. today i took my spare intake, disassemble it, and head it cleaned out, now i can pick it up without getting my hands dirty and no more carbon deposits. i will slap it on. I'm not doing anything to this intake, its all stock, i want to see how much improvement (or not) I will get with just the cleaned out intake...
The one that is currently on the car, the EGR passage is clogged (check engine light kicks in sometimes) and the whole thing is just nasty on the inside, so when i get it off ill post some pictures of it. and this is the one that will get the "intake work shop" performed on it. Stay tuned, and you should get some updates on Sunday...

Last edited by CRAZY_RUSSIAN; 12-20-2010 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: "cleaned my intake (manifold?) /gas consumption experiment" &

"(check engine light kicks in sometimes)"

Hi CR,

If you change you mind, ("I will slap it on. I'm not doing anything to this intake, its all stock, I want to see how much improvement (or not) I will get with just the cleaned out intake..."), three things you could do while the Intake Manifold is off; to improve mileage:

a.) do the EGR Passage Polish Procedure (wooden dowel tools shown below) also gets you longer service intervals;
b.) do the "trueing" of all the sealing surfaces (13? facets) plus EGR Valve itself for increased captured vacuum deliverable to the FPR; and improved engine load sensing with increased flow at the MAF Sensor;
c.) do the gasket match of the Heads to the Intake-Manifold/Heads gaskets for improved fuel spray delivery;

You may know the above already. If it where me I'd try to do at least one of them. That way you pay for the required gaskets for the manifold swap you're doing anyhow; in fuel savings (and/or oil savings if you re-do the Valley-Pan!).

This last one below doesn't require that the manifold be off, but almost guarantees a mileage improvement;

d.) re-cycle some used OEM injectors through Russ Collins service, he's almost your neighbour in Calif.; and it is inexpensive, and pays for itself in saved fuel from no longer dripping injectors.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Lago Blue; 12-19-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks LB :-) i have the heads, gasket matched on the intake side (that was one of the firs mods i did to this car) the valley pan gasket was replaced this summer when i did my head gaskets with ARP studs. I'm not planing on having this intake on for more then 6-8 month, so thats why im not doing anything to it.
the one that i have off, ill be doing the full workshop to it (unless something goes wrong in the mean time)
but injector cleaning dose sound like a good idea.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

inside the old intake
Attached Images   
Old 12-21-2010, 07:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default VAG-COM change for no gas smell?

CR,

I've got more issues with my '91 CQ than I'd like to admit, but one that's been driving me nuts (or high) is a strong gas smell. Had it in to a mechanic who replaced hoses to expansion tank and a supply fuel line, but I still smell gas and think it's from the exhaust and car running really rich.

what did you change (if anything) with the VAG-COM to make it not smell anymore?!?

Originally Posted by CRAZY_RUSSIAN
so in the last few weeks Ive bean working on trying to get batter PMGs out of my car... head hooked up to a VAG-COM (btw, are u guys shore its group:008?, cause when i changed my potentiometer, nothing changes in the numbers, but group: 002 did) anyways, got it set to 128 in 002 and now i don't smell fuel out of my exhaust and i got about 22.5mpg now. today i took my spare intake, disassemble it, and head it cleaned out, now i can pick it up without getting my hands dirty and no more carbon deposits. i will slap it on. I'm not doing anything to this intake, its all stock, i want to see how much improvement (or not) I will get with just the cleaned out intake...
The one that is currently on the car, the EGR passage is clogged (check engine light kicks in sometimes) and the whole thing is just nasty on the inside, so when i get it off ill post some pictures of it. and this is the one that will get the "intake work shop" performed on it. Stay tuned, and you should get some updates on Sunday...
Old 12-21-2010, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Jovanm, i have a 4 to 3 wire MAF conversion, which requers me to install a potentiometer with a resistor, so i can adjust the fuel mixture.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jovanm,

When are you smelling fuel?

Do you have the original MAF Sensor on the vehicle?

Note also theat the flexible & braided fuel lines in the engine compartment are known to leak at their end-fittings (from right where the hose emerges from the back-side of those end-fittings) with age, and may be very slightly dripping when the engine is running.

CR, Jovanm may be asking if you can outline the procedure to adjust the idle-mixture with a stock MAF Sensor; that has the adjustment pot.

Last edited by Lago Blue; 12-22-2010 at 05:14 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

sorry, misunderstood: here is the link on how to convert from 4 to 3 wire MAF on a B4 (12v V6 with MSS-200 ECU) i don't know inouf about the CQs and/or if this will work https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...light=wire+maf
i will also have to read more on the VAG-COM to verify that i did it correctly.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I need to clean my EGR passage, and am looking at buying an extra intake manifold to clean up and then do a swap out, minimizing down-time of my daily driver.

Is it correct that all intake manifolds for 12v v6 engines are compatible?
(I have a '93 90, spare is from '97 a6)

Last edited by stillinanaudi; 12-21-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yes they are, the only difference is the location of the EGR temp sensor, but it doesn't make a difference where its at.

Quick Reply: cleaned my intake/gas consumption experiment