Exhaust issues on 90 20V - djtalon...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust issues on 90 20V - djtalon...

I now have a custom exhaust on my 90 20V saloon (2WD - UK spec). Before I had this exhaust, I too was looking at full exhaust system options such as Stebro. I understand that the OEM exhausts are different for 2WD and Quattro, possibly also different between saloons and coupes. Stebro informed me that they were 'working' on an exhaust system for the 20V due to be released in November (just gone)... is it possible that your system is this 'new' design hence the fitment problems...? Not sure...

My car is (legally in the UK) cat-free but doesn't sound like a 'Honda'. I too have heard that the absense (or I guess a hollow cat) can make the exhaust note 'tinny' at higher RPM's but does not seem to be the case on mine.... hmmmmm.... I have a single tailpipe rear silencer with a centre silencer and a smaller one where the cat was.

BTW, I would be interested to know if you get any resonance from your new Stebro system. I have had my exhaust ammended a few times in order to hopefully reduce (or eliminate) resonance problems between 1800 and 2500 rpm. Yes, now it is better but the resonance is still present. Perhaps with your resonators you don't suffer from this problem but I would be interested to know as we have similar cars with the same engine. Can anyone suggest a resonator I could install to resolve the resonance problems...?

Sorry I haven't helped - in fact, I have ended up asking more questions than I have attempted to answer!

Good luck with the exhaust!

Obli
Old 12-06-2001, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: Exhaust issues on 90 20V - djtalon...

sounds like you have a chamber size that is off just a bit. if you don't mind swapping those in/out, just keep trying to find one that elims it, or comes close. i have an older stebro, that getts tinny in the midrange at part throttle, but never really sounded buzzy like a honda. however, its note changes as it warms up (tinnier when cold, throatier when warm-hot). only fitment issue on mine was the attachment to the cat. they gave a little extra for some reason (maybe their test car didnt have the OE cat). anyway, definately let stebro know that you had to hack it to fit it. maybe they sent you the urq exhaust (it is slightly different if i am not mistaken). who knows, but call them and chat.
Old 12-07-2001, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I have a gutted (for now) cat and a Scorpion and...

...it sounds like HELL with a hollow cat!! Right at 3000 rpms up to around 4500 it sounds like a sh*tbox...it sucks...like the muffler is falling apart.
Now, if I could get the time to weld a straight pipe INSIDE the cat housing I'm sure it would sound nice and not "tinny" or "raspy". Anyhow, gotta deal with it for now til my poor-college-kid *** can throw $200+ down for a new kitty. Besides, being able to pop fireballs from 1st to 2nd when I wring it out to 7k is pretty damn fun! :P
Old 12-07-2001, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I have a gutted (for now) cat and a Scorpion and...

it sucks *** dosent it, so i guess if i get a new cat this noise will go away.
poor ole college kid also, cant afford new cat unti jan.
later dave