First car, 93 90 cs, need all the info I can get!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First car, 93 90 cs, need all the info I can get!

Hi! I just got my first car, for $600 at an auction, and its a 93 90 cs. It was a pretty big impulse buy, so I hadn't given it much attention before getting it. So now that I have it, I am still finding little problems as I'm going along. The first thing I noticed was that a few of the gauges weren't working - fuel and engine temperature. Put some gas in it, started it up and drove it about 15 miles to my house from the auction locale and it made it in one piece! It was a great feeling. The next problem occurred when we were checking the freon levels - which was a pain to find the right attachments! - we had the engine running, and I noticed some radiator fluid squirting out from where the hose connects to the container for it. With a little tug, it resulted in a nifty POP and squirted all of that fluid on the engine. Turns out the radiator fans aren't kicking on either! Must be a bad fuse, we thought. But upon looking, all the fuses were good, even though the amp was supposed to be 30 for the radiator fan, and a fuse with 10 was in its place, and it wasn't blown. Plus, the heater core needs to be replaced! So, now what I need are links to anything that could help me out! If someone has a link to a manual, that would be great, nobody in town had one. Thanks in advance to any and all advice you have!
Old 08-23-2012, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations!

try 12v.org for the heater core writeup.

for the Radiator fans check the temperature sensor on the radiator itself. It is on the passenger side of the radiator about 3/4 of the way toward the bottom. if I remember, the middle wire is the 12v in and the top and bottom wires are the high and low speeds. if you touch the middle wire to the others and the fans go on you either have a bad sensor or the sensor isnt getting hot. If the sensor isnt getting hot you have either a clogged radiator or a stuck closed thermostat.

The search function here and at quatttroworld.com will be a great resource.

enjoy!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default heater core

Heater core is a right of passage for B3 and B4's

Have fun!
Old 08-24-2012, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i havent head to do my :-P :-P :-P
heater core: i think there is a wright up for it here somewhere, its about a full day job, grab a friend ;-) also use eather G11 or G12 coolant, DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT mix it with any other types of coolant!

coolant res, is conman.

fans, the fans are supposed to come on with AC and at proper operating temp, do u know if your engine was there? also, replacing those 2 sensors are not a bad idea and keep old ones as spares (at least in my book, some may say "why fix it if it aint broke")
Old 08-24-2012, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Haha, I plan on having such a blast taking apart the dash for that heater core. Ah well, gotta get it done before winter hits here, or I'll suffer!
Old 08-24-2012, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by grillage
Congratulations!

try 12v.org for the heater core writeup.

for the Radiator fans check the temperature sensor on the radiator itself. It is on the passenger side of the radiator about 3/4 of the way toward the bottom. if I remember, the middle wire is the 12v in and the top and bottom wires are the high and low speeds. if you touch the middle wire to the others and the fans go on you either have a bad sensor or the sensor isnt getting hot. If the sensor isnt getting hot you have either a clogged radiator or a stuck closed thermostat.

The search function here and at quatttroworld.com will be a great resource.

enjoy!
Thanks! I did find a nice guide for that heater core. Looks like fun...

Alright, I'll look into that for those fans. I really just need to get a manual though, so I dont do something stupid. I plan on using everything available here, there's lots of info on this site!
Old 08-24-2012, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by CRAZY_RUSSIAN
i havent head to do my :-P :-P :-P
heater core: i think there is a wright up for it here somewhere, its about a full day job, grab a friend ;-) also use eather G11 or G12 coolant, DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT mix it with any other types of coolant!

coolant res, is conman.

fans, the fans are supposed to come on with AC and at proper operating temp, do u know if your engine was there? also, replacing those 2 sensors are not a bad idea and keep old ones as spares (at least in my book, some may say "why fix it if it aint broke")
Haha, yeah, it'll probably be a full weekend of work for me getting that heater core done. Thanks for the heads up about that coolant!

Yeah, I think I may just have to replace those sensors to be safe. But, if I can get them working without having to replace them, I will just leave them there. It's hard being a poor teenager!!
Old 09-07-2012, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default well if you need parts........

i have a '93 90 cs non quat i'm parting out. black with grey leather. let me know if you need anything. i'm selling stuff pretty cheap.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 84gtguy
i have a '93 90 cs non quat i'm parting out. black with grey leather. let me know if you need anything. i'm selling stuff pretty cheap.
Awesome! I'll send you a message about it!