Followup to: Considering 1990 90. Whaddayathink, given my report?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Followup to: Considering 1990 90. Whaddayathink, given my report?

Ok, So I've seen the car.

It's extremely clean, no rust. The only minus with the body is the paint's a little crazed. ALL the switches, guages, windows etc. work. The seller has a shoe box full of reciepts for the dealer oil changes, quasi-recent timing belt service, air-conditioner pump service and most importantly, CLUTCH.

The car has 180K on it, but the engine is suprisingly clean and smooth running, with perfect oil pressure (per the console guage). I have no doubt the engine still has plenty of life in it.

The only major repair concerns I have are that the parking brake is non-functional (feels like the cable's pulling something, it just doesn't do anything), the exhaust has seen better days and more importantly, the tranny sounds like it has a slight output whir/whine (not a wheel bearing roar/groan)that increases with road speed. The parking brake and exhaust aren't a big deal in the short term, but that whir could be a problem. Since the car is in extremly good shape, I've talked them down in price, carfax gives it a clean bill of health (2 owners) and the trans. shifts like butter, I'm willing to take the risk, as I feel the car's still worth it even if the trans needs work. I suspect however, that the gear oil is just worn out and a change to Red-Line or Mobile-1 will clear things up.

What's the worst case if the(5 speed)trans. needs to be rebuilt? Any suggestions for SW Ohio shops?

Any thoughts, comments or ideas?

Thanks,

Doug
Old 10-17-2004, 04:13 PM

Default Personally I wouldn't touch one with a tranny problem unless it was

in absolutely AMAZING condition. Could end up costing a lot more than you expect.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How much are you going to pay for this car?
Old 10-17-2004, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Personally I wouldn't touch one with a tranny problem unless it was

$1200 The Blue Book is $1845

I'm thinking worst case here. The tranny noise is faint, and increases in pitch with road speed, regardless of clutch in or out. My CGT had a similar sound until the gear oil was renewed. And again when the mount went south and was transmitting gear noise directly to the body.

Considering the miles it has, I was expecting the engine to be marginal. I'm still shocked at how well it runs. Perfect. It was owned by a "country club set" couple for most of it's life who had all it's maint. performed on a timely basis by a dealer. The current owners are "well to do" and conscientious as well. Looks like nothing that broke was ever skipped over. The faint tranny whine is the ONLY weakness this car has (in it's price range).

I'm the paranoid type who always thinks the worse. And I'd rather have an older (but considerably cleaner) Audi than a newer, but ratty Saturn or Neon (the other vehicals that wound up fitting my criteria).

Yes, I'm a fanatic. At least I understand how to work on I-5, CIS engines. I do not want to tackle GM fuel injection systems any time in my future. Or Dodge automatic transmissions.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:08 PM

Default Parking brake means new rear calipers...

Reman's will run you about $150 each, just for the part, not installed. I know because I had this very same problem a few years back.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

arent b3 5spds a dime a dozen... theres at least 4 that i know of at the local parts place, junkyard
Old 10-18-2004, 05:12 AM

Default Sounds like a good car - but being a doomsayer, I would not buy it unless you're prepared to deal

with a new or rebuilt tranny. It may turn out to be nothing that bad, which would be great. But don't disapoint yourself if it does need one. Might still be a great deal if you can take care of a tranny.