here's an idea!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default here's an idea!!

the AUDI v8 swap seems expensive and pretty hard to accomplish...if you have the time and money (and can find all the parts) then u maybe able to do it...now what about swapping in a dodge 318, or some kind of small block v8? no efi to deal with, no injectors, u still have to fab mounts for the audi v8 so why not for this one? i mean, you get 350hp right outta the box! my neighbor has a 1979 aspen with a 318 in it and he is pushin like 450 with not so major modification done to it..infact his 440 ramcharger was ported and polish and he tuned it to 700 rwhp!!!!!!!! so maybe someone can tell me why this wont work..is it the size?? cuz if it is there are smaller v8's out there too! i mean how sick would that be? 700hp? plus american v8s are so easy to find aftermarket parts for..i mean just pick up an issue of hot rod and you'll see!!
Old 12-20-2003, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There's a ton of issues.

I grew up building small and big block mopar. I'll tell you too that there's no way any emissions based 318 pulls 400 horse without serious mods. My 360 in my 82' Ramcharger had tons of money sunk into it - Aluminum heads, shaved block, 10.5:1 flattops, Lunati cam, 750 DP, headers, the works, and got around 355 out of it - and that's with the extra displacement. Small block mopar is more noted for it's durability than anything. Just compare the main bearing caps to a 4 bolt main SB Chevy. Amazing the difference. But getting back to the question....

SB Mopars are heavy. Very heavy. Their durability is only match to old International engines which weigh in even heavier. On the other side of the coin - small block Fords are on the "lighter" side. An Audi V8 weighs in at roughly the same weight as all the 5cyls, where any American cast iron block/head engine is nearly double.

Then there's the issue of drivetrain. How do you adapt the quattro trans to fit? Clutch? Pilot Bearing? Motor Mounts? Engine Deck Height? If somone was serious about putting an American V8 in an Audi, I'd lean towards the Chevy LT1, as this has already been done in a 5K - although I hear the owner has had tons of problems with it. Another thought and combo would be the Grand National 3.8T, or the Ford Turbo Coupe 2.3T, but both of these seem far fetched too. Why not do an MC swap for minimal money, easy fit, and decent power gains?
Old 12-20-2003, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There was a small block Chevy motor that was stuffed into a 5000 at one time...

I forget the guy's name, but I know he kept going through very expensive trannies with it. It's a good idea, but it would more of a headache. Getting the transition from the engine to drive-line is a tricky proposition, and that's where most of your money would be spent.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default And another funny, yet amazing thing....

That 1979 Aspen's 318 came from the factory stock with 135 horse. Any 440 made post 1973, full emissions, non-forged crank put out a whopping 175 stock. Compare that even to the Audi 3A 4 cyl, at 109 horse, or the NG at what? 135? That a 2.0/2.2/2.3 as apposed to a 5.2 liter 318, or 7.0 440? Amazing! Goes against the "no replacement for displacement" theory!
Old 12-20-2003, 11:44 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Its all about the torque.

Most of those motors never saw more than 3000rpm in daily driving. No point in lots of HP as long as there was enough torque at the low end.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The LT1Q, breaks a tranny every outing...
Old 12-20-2003, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Huh? Where did you get that info?

Completely untrue...

Bob D. and Scott J. put that monster LT1Q together and yeah they did have a couple problems with some tranny's.

Mostly due to all that torque tearing up the pinion rings...

Bob D. told me that since the car was sold to a guy in Colorado there haven't been any tranny problems since.

Perhaps the tranny's couldn't hold up to Bob's driving style?

He is a SCCA Rally driver BTW...

Anyway's to suggest that the car was going through tranny's every outing is a bit "off base"

Steve
Michigan
Old 12-20-2003, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Huh? Where did you get that info?

Yeah, you know alot more on that car than me, Stephen. Actually, everything I heard was from you. Still pretty crazy that they managed to get everything working! That was indeed an amazing project. Personally I think the 3.8 GN motor is interesting too. I saw 69' Stingray with one in it once - made a really cool 13 second car with 20+ mpg! That, however is a much easier swap as the 700R4 carries right over into the Vette.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Huh? Where did you get that info?

Next time we are at the SB rally you should talk to Bob about that car.

That's how I got my info...

Scott Justusson did alot of custom work to get that engine to fit.

I remember seeing the LT1Q at Gratten speedway about 3 years ago. That thing sounded awesome...

Steve
Michigan
Old 12-21-2003, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Its a novelty thing, if you ask me....

which you didn't, I know..;&gt

Really though, the amount of time and money involved in a swap like that; you could take a second job and use the money for a turbo swap. Projects like a V8 swap are driven by a desire to do something no one else has, not by the gains of the swap. I can't imagine what putting 500# of cast iron V8 into the front of an Audi would do to the weight balance of that car.

My 2cents
Dave

Quick Reply: here's an idea!!