hey, just done the short shifter mod!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey, just done the short shifter mod!

miktip, inspired by you and some other car enthusiasts, i set off on a journey to perform a short shift modification. i just cut 1.5" off of the shifter rod to give me that somewhat of a short shifter look and feel. i can tell you, it looks awesome and it feels a lot better than before. pics are soon to follow.
Old 05-15-2002, 10:49 AM
Former Vendor

Default Re: hey, just done the short shifter mod!

Howdy! I quite enjoy the Billzcat short shifter I was sent in trade for some parts. Easy installation, nice tight short shift, though I do agree that the actual shift rod does need to be cut down slightly. I highly recommend the Billzcat short shift kit, possibly done for less, though I don't mind paying a bit extra for a bolt-on piece.

Cheers!
Old 05-15-2002, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default He's all out of his first production run.

I'm not sure if he's going to do another run. His last shifter sold on Ebay for $180 or so.

I'm hoping that there is a second run so that I can get one (not for $180 though!).
Old 05-15-2002, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah, but here's why i cut it rather than buy it

i really don't intend to spend much more money on my 90S because i'm looking to buy something new. spending $200 for ssk is a little too much for me at this time. maybe later down the road when i have something to invest my money in.
Old 05-15-2002, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alen, can you post directions on how to do it?
Old 05-15-2002, 11:43 AM
Former Vendor

Default Re: yeah, but here's why i cut it rather than buy it

Howdy! Wow his Ebay auction really got up high. I was able to knock $80 off the purchase price of taillights through Europrice. I gathered the price was $80 or so to buy the kit, though the Ebay sale was a typical auction sale.

It is quite easy to just cut the shift linkage and tap new threads on top, though it doesn't make the throw that much shorter, the Billzcat was almost too short for my taste at first, though I have now come to really enjoy rowing through the gears with a nice tight short throw at hand.

Cheers!
Old 05-15-2002, 01:16 PM

Default heres how to do it

unscrew shift ****, remove plastic panel infront of E-Brake lever unscrew the philipshead scre, remove the shift boot, remove the two nuts and the spacers, lift up shift asembly remove bolt at the bottom of shift lever, lever and shift asembly are now loose. screw 12 mm die over existing threads and thread it another 2 to 3 inches then cut of 2 inches from the top of the rod and unscrew the die, and reinstall the rod.
Old 05-15-2002, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

if its that simple then why are they selling "kits" for $75+?
Old 05-15-2002, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: if its that simple then why are they selling "kits" for $75+?

the kit is actually more than a cut down shift lever...it moves the lever point. also, bilzcat's rendition is a slightly modified "benno shifter" from the 20v list. i've posted the directions here for that shifter (all VW/Audi parts). i forget the difference between the two, however, something in the ball housing i thought?
Old 05-15-2002, 01:47 PM
Former Vendor

Default Re: if its that simple then why are they selling "kits" for $75+?

Howdy again! Lopping off the top of a shifter is not a "true" short shift modification. A true short shift setup moves the pivot point upwards in relation to the whole shift rod, thus less movement is required above the pivot point to actuate the rod below.

Sure chopping the top of the shift rod will shorten the throw slightly because there is less height. It has a similar effect in shortening the throw up top for the amount of movement below, though there is only so much you can lop off of a shifter. With the Billzcat I have the shift **** at the same height, though I would like it a bit lower, the throw is cut by at least 50% or so. To get a 50% reduction by just cutting would leave the shifter too low for my taste, possibly too low for anyone's taste.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: hey, just done the short shifter mod!