Leak in the coupe..passenger foot rest...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak in the coupe..passenger foot rest...

So I sprayed the car down...and noticed the leak was coming from the door hinge (black seal traveling down and coming in)...i think it may be the rubber gasket that surrounds my whole door...anyone replace this before?

ANEW
Old 03-10-2006, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Leak in the coupe..passenger foot rest...

Coupe Window Seal Leaks
Symptoms: window occasionally drips water during heavy rain. It seems to be coming from the middle of the top edge of the window, right where it begins to angle down along the windshield. You also may have wind noise while driving at high speeds.

* Solution #1: Spray *a lot* of liquid silicone into the rubber and felt portions of the door strip, making sure that the rubber is completely saturated. Do it in 15 minute intervals until the rubber doesn't suck up any more silicone. After a few days, the rubber will expand a bit, and hopefully your leak will be gone! You also might want to do all the other rubber weatherstripping around the car, taking care not to spray the paint.
* Solution #2: Try adjusting the latch that is affixed to the body inside the door area. Raise it up about 1/8". Be careful! Moving the latch too much will make it difficult or impossible to close the door.
* Solution #3: The two above didn't completely solve my problem, so I tried adjusting the window position relative to the door. This was easier than I had feared. Once you remove the door trim panel, there are six bolts that hold the glass and regulator mechanism to the door. I marked the current position of the window by running a pencil along the bottom outside edge of the glass. Once the bolts are loose, the regulator/window frame can be moved a few millimeters up so that when the door is closed, the window will be slightly higher and make better contact with the rubber seal. You need to pay attention to the entire edge of the glass when you close the door to check the fit. Moving too much in one direction will cause a gap at the other side. If you push the glass too high, the door will have problems closing or the glass will not fit into the rubber seal correctly.<ul><li><a href="http://20v.org/doorroof.htm#doortrim">20v.org</a></li></ul>
Old 03-10-2006, 08:22 AM

yeah thanks i read that...what the hell is silicone spray? I thought that was a lurbricant?
Old 03-10-2006, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default like this I assume...

<ul><li><a href="http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=36">http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=36</a</li></ul>