Looking at a 1990 90 Quattro 20v - Questions, please

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 1990 90 Quattro 20v - Questions, please

Hey guys, I am looking at a car to buy. It is a 1990 90 quattro. I looked at the Model Guide and it shows that Leather Seats and "Integrated Foglights" are standard. This car has gray cloth and I saw no fogs under the bumper. Did I read the model guide right that the cloth interior was an option? And are the foglights in the headlights like on my 1996 A4?

Also, this car seems to be in pretty good shape (other than faded paint on some panels - and the cloth interior looks great). But the passenger front window sounds like it is trying, but does not go down. And the rear driver side window makes no sound at all and won't go down. Is it probable that the front window is blocked and an easy fix? I assune the rear is a bad motor. Are my assumptions right? And yes, I did search, but did not find anything.

Oh yeah, the sun roof opened fine, but when I closed it, it would stop part way, then continue, stop again, then continue. Is this right? And the climate control had the vents stuck going to the feet and defrost. But it blew cold air!

So does it sound like expensive fixes? The price seems OK ($1,500 obo). I just don't want to spend a lot more for the other stuff.

Thanks in advance for all of your help. I used to be on the B5 forum when I had my A4, but now that I am looking for a 90, I have been lurking here. It seems like a bunch of great guys here.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Looking at a 1990 90 Quattro 20v - Questions, please

there are 90q20v's in the US with cloth, but I thought all of them had foglights in the bumper. this car may have, at some point, had the bumper replaced with a standard one from a 90 and not had the foglights put back. There's a car f/s in the DC area like this, but it looks like the whole front end has been put back on piecemeal...the hood is still white underneath but the outside is the silver-gray like the rest of the car.

the cc issue sounds like foam on the vent flap door has disintegrated, which is not uncommon, just hard to get at to fix. The sunroof is flaking out, as that is not normal...could just need the switch to be cleaned. Windows are most likely regulators and/or motors.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Looking at a 1990 90 Quattro 20v - Questions, please

I have seen cloth seats in a 20v, but I thought they all had the fogs, it is the same bumper but the lower grill is shorter if it has the fogs and then the fogs are at the end of it.

Sunroof, maybe binding and or just needing to be greased. I forget if there is a overload type switch in there I would assume there is.

Back window probably wiring is broke at the door hinge either drivers door or back door. Front may be more of a problem, or just replace the whole regulator.

The vents can be a problem too?? But its cold!

$1500 does not sound too bad but it may need some repair.

Jim Bush
Holland, MI
Old 06-25-2007, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sounds like we looked at the same car

I thought the bumper might have been replaced. Maybe a good bit of front end damage since bothe fenders and the hood were replaced/repainted.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks Jim. So the back would be easier?

I assumed the opposite. And yes, the air blowing through the vents was very cold. And the outside temp was in celcius, but I assumed that was a simple setting.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Sounds like we looked at the same car

I actually have not laid eyes on it, just called the guy and when I started questioning why the whole front end was a different color in the pics and the bumper was hanging off he came out with "what he knew". If the damage was any less than 5 to 7 years ago, that car would have been a total loss because of the repair costs for both fenders, a hood, and a bumper. I'd make sure the title wasn't salvage/rebuilt. He said he didn't know, and at that point I pretty much figured I'd look elsewhere. I'm in NC but have family up there in NoVa.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There's a switch on the climate control unit to go between Celsius and Fahrenheit.

Nothing you've mentioned sounds terminal, just the standard nagging problems that plague some of these cars (not mine!), but I might check for damage to the structure if the front end has been hit. All 20Vs should have foglights, so if it doesn't, and you said the fenders and hood have been messed with too, it probably got whacked pretty good and may not have been repaired well.