Miktip - Your exhaust... Hokie - Your exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miktip - Your exhaust... Hokie - Your exhaust...

Mike & Mike:

B4, 12v...

I started fabbing-up a custom exhaust yesterday, already bought all the parts, then this morning I hop on Miktip's site, and to my amazement, I've almost made something identical to your setup. I guess it could be considered a hybrid between the Mik setup and the Hok setup. I wanted a 4" center muffler, but couldn't find one from my parts source, so I went 6", which ends up coincidentally being Mik's setup. I liked the way the DTMs look on Hok's, so I opted for those types of tips for mine.

My stock exhaust is starting to really sound like crap, so I figured it was about time to make a change. I have one seal behind one of the cats (doughnut) leaking like a bitch, and although I've replaced the seal, tightened the bolts, then put lock washers and locknuts on, it STILL leaks. Whatever. I also have my PS converter rattling like no other. Other than that, from the leaking seals back, the exhaust looks like new... I actually feel bad getting rid of it.

So here's what I've ordered:

2 new Magnaflow high-flow 2.5" converters - $32 each
1 new Magnaflow 2.5", 6" round center muf. - $37
1 new GENUINE Remus 2.5" w/ 3" DTM tips rear muf. - $100

The questions:

*Mik * Hok - Performance change? I think changing the cats, in my case, will make a huge difference, but otherwise, what performance increase did you see changing the center out and the rear of your exhaust? Keeping in mind too, I have no engine mods. (I will soon enough)

*Mik - The flex fittings... are they totally necessary?

*Mik & Hok - A big one... the center bracket/rod you fabbed to replace where the mufflers once hung. Looks like a piece of bar with an exhaust clamp through it. Do you have pix or a description? The shop I have doing the fab for me wants to make a bracket, but I question their design.

*Mik & Hok - If you could change anything about the exhausts you've installed, what would it be?

I DO NOT want a ricey sound: tinny, crappy, like I have a coffee can as a muffler, type of sound. I believe the setup I've done will sound respectable enough. Hok, I've heard the audio clips on your website... I'm pretty sure that's generally along the lines of what I'm looking for in terms of sound. BUT... WAS THERE A PERFORMANCE DIFFERENCE? That IS the question.

I didn't go lazy... I did a search through the forums, but I can't really answer all these questions for myself from your perspective. I value your opinions greatly on any subject relavent to my B4, so I am confident any help you can give me on this will be invaluable.

Thanks!

Matt
Old 01-01-2004, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The flex fittings......

I have them to reduce the possibility of the header/manifold cracking. They are not required, but take a look at the A4 & S4 exhaust systems. They have the flex sections. IMO they are a inexpensive insurance policy to ensure your exhaust manifolds, and down pipes dont crack.

The center bracket/rod is a section of square steel tube. Square just like the one on your front strut brace, but smaller,1/2". Then two round solid steel sections on the ends, to fit inside the OEM outer hangers. In the middle another section of the same square tube, welded together, with a 2.5" U-exhaust clamp.

Performance? It allows the engine to breath better than the OEM system. Its lighter than the OEM system. Since your engine is stock, you may lose a slight on the lower end, but gain some on the higher rpm end? If you mod your engine, in the future, the exhaust will compliment & help out future mods, by allowing the exhaust to get out better, thus allowing air to get in the engine better. ;O)

If I would change anything, it would be the 6" round muffler. I would go with a 4" round.(http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/ss02.htm)<ul><li><a href="http://home.ec.rr.com/miktip/page2.htm">http://home.ec.rr.com/miktip/page2.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 01-01-2004, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Miktip - Your exhaust... Hokie - Your exhaust...

I love the way my exhaust sounds and performs right now. I modeled mine after MikTip as well, but I went with the 4" round center. The pics on my exhaust section have not been updated. I have a straight through single tip magnaflow muffler on the end now.

Performace... This setup drops somewhere around 45 lbs off the stock setup. I still have stock cats, so they're holding something back, but I still felt a good gain.

Instead of running two cats, you might want to try running only 1 like UrS4 on the 12V development forum. See link for his cat setup.

Hope this helps,

Mike<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/12v/msgs/13483.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/12v/msgs/13483.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 01-01-2004, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default One more thing...

The shop ran a small beam from hanger to hanger to support the middle section.

Mike
Old 01-02-2004, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dina, Flex fittings...

Definetly put the flex fittings it. They will protect your exhaust from engine moment then can cause cracks and premature failure.

Make sure you use a flex with a liner, it will ensure your flex doesn't whistle.

Here's a write up on flex I did last month

-D<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/12v/msgs/14395.phtml">Click here...</a></li></ul>
Old 01-02-2004, 08:59 AM

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2004, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No worries