My anoyning repost...only doing it cuz I need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My anoyning repost...only doing it cuz I need help

I have realized that my electric problem has come from a seet of wires that I has to fix like 2 years back. Back then I noticed that every time I thru my car in reverse that I would short the car out. Repaired the switch thing in the trans box and repaired the wires in the trunk sill. So I think that this has fried some circuits. So now I need to know what I need to change/repair to get the lights back on.

FYI: I have the following working:
turn signals, emergency flashers, power windows,sunroof, cluster clock, head and fog lights, brake lights, interior lights i.e Dome light, green light to indicate front fogs, trans box lights, PRD321 cluster lights, and warning lights, radio, digital climate control illumination.
I do not have:
window button light, parking lights, rear indicator lights, reverse lights, instrument cluster lights, glove box light, license plate light, climate control button illumination, and my Air Bag light flashes at start up and stays on.

I hope this helps for you guys to understand better. I would really like to finish this problem.

Grazie.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/9080/msgs/140347.phtml">Previous thread on this topic</a></li></ul>
Old 12-08-2003, 07:43 AM

Default My 2 cents...

I've had these same problems you're describing. Check the wiring around the trunk hinges. The trunk kinks and bends the wires over time and mine had a break right there. This seems to mess with all the interior lighting, locking system, and blowing fuses whenever you shift in R.

As for all the interior lights. I just fixed this with a used headlight switch. All my interior lights were out. If you turn you headlight switch on, and you're headlights work, but no interior lights, thats the first sign. If you leave the headlight switch on after shutting off the ignition, and opening the door, does the warning buzz work or not? If not it's definatly you headlight switch.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The stuff you don't have....

...is the stuff that is typically shorted out by the weak spot in the wires at the hinge point in the trunk! The airbag light probably means you have to replace an airbag component- mine started doing the same thing when I accidentally crossed some wires. The others should be fixable- perhaps try replacing all the wire in the trunk in that hinge area? I'm not sure, but good luck!
Old 12-08-2003, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default some more stuff to ponder on...

If the wiring was the problem, which I'm pretty sure it is, then shouldn't it have blown a fuse or something. I haven't seen any blown fuses. What about a circuit breaker? Where are they? The reverse light thing doesn't happened more because I fixed it a while back. But the wires may have come loose or fringed or something, so I don't doubt thats why I have no reverse lights.

Here's the big problem. I have no back lights as in the lights that act as the brake lights/parking lights on the back. So When I'm driving at night other drivers can't see me until I brake. Even this was the a bad wire, the wire blew something out that I need to replace so I can see where the problem really lies.

Lets say I go and replace some wiring tonight, which I intend to. Then what? I will still have no lights! I need to change something else here too, all the fuses are good, I even replaced them just to be sure. I even tried to play with the wires while I had good fuses in and lights on.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Continuity tester!

use one to figure out where the open is! Don't forget to check the bulbs as well- if there was something shorted, perhaps it took other stuff out with it. In any case, good luck!
Old 12-09-2003, 03:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2 more cents...

easy way is turn the lights on, open the trunk
and try shifting the wires around to see if the lights may shift on? just a suggestion, besides cutting open the loom and inspecting the individual wires..... good luck and let us know what it was.....