Need some advice about 1990 Audi80 automatic transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2001, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice about 1990 Audi80 automatic transmission.

Hi,
Little over a year ago I purchased 1990 Audi80 on an auction. It has some 54 000miles on the odometer. Car had a rear colision which was fixed but interior and engine were in excelent shape. I price was right, I liked the car (DIDN'T like AUTO transmission) so I decided 2 buy it.
Well not long after I found out that the car was notorious for bad automatic transmission. And I HAD 2 find that out the hard way. Well, as it turned out rebuilding the transmission would cost lot more than I'am willing to put in a 11yr old car and buying a rebuilt or used one turned out to be much more difficult than I first thought. Part of the reason why is that I don't know which type of transmission it is. There are 2 codes in question that are supposed 2 be somewhere on the car and I don't know where that is. Codes should be 'KAU' or 'RBP'.
As I said it 1990 Audi 80, 2.0L, 4cyl, 4dr, 3spd AUTO.
I live in Ontario, Canada and that type of car was never imported into Canada so finding good used parts is extremley difficult. If anyone can inform me where exactly is that code located and/or if you have information on someone selling the transmission please reply here or email-me on djdiskoton@hotmail.com

Thank you in advance.
Old 11-11-2001, 01:24 PM

Default I was in the same boat a year ago

My trans diff. just blew all the sudden at 2am. I called L&T (the biggest VW/audi Salvage yard in my area) and to my surprise they didn't have one. An even bigger surprise was when I called a couple national locators and a few Very big yards in different parts of the US and found nothing but a couple of rebuilts and cores for a ridiculouse price. The dealership wanted $3400 for the transmission!! A local Cottmans transmission place quoted me around $1700 at most. I ended up throwing a 4000 tranny in the car for the time being. But don't go this route, it causes clearance problems and oil cooler lines have to be cut and moved. As soon as I get motivated and some money, I'm swapping to a manual tranny, which is a very involved job for the older 80/90s cuz you have to cut and weld a new transmission tunnel to make the trans hold up. My suggestions- one, your best bet is to have the origional rebuilt. Two you can try to find a rebuilt one(good luck), but how long will that last? Three, if you have connections or a good welding abillity do the manual swap. Audi automatics may suck, but the manuals are very strong. Don't let anybody talk you into anything crazy and keep the car, it's rare and it's a good car.
Old 11-11-2001, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Re: I was in the same boat a year ago

First thanks for answering. I talked to a guy when that happened who did the auto to manual change an he said it was a lot of work. He provided me with the list of needed parts and pictures on how to do it. It really looked like a huge undertaking. After the tranny died I was so upset and I went out and I leased 2001 Cavalier, but still I love going in my audi and starting it after a month or two of sitting outside and it starts like I drove it a minute ago. I don't plan on selling the car since it has very low mileage on it. A friend of mine says that a guy he spoke to from Ohio said that he can get the tranny for some $400-800 which I highly doubt but if he can I'll get two right away.
It seems to me that this car was mostly sold in California and Texas since only junk yards in which I found the tranny were there.

By the way Can you tell me where I can find the codes I'm looking 4?
Old 11-12-2001, 03:11 AM

Default Re: tranny codes

If I remember correctly, the code is stamped on the top of the bell housing. You can see it from the engine bay, right in back of the engine where on the transaxle where it bolts up
Old 11-12-2001, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default German Transaxle Of America!

<ul><li><a href="http://go.to/gtainc">http://go.to/gtainc</a</li></ul>
Old 11-12-2001, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Re: German Transaxle Of America!

Thanx for the URL. They are on the other side of the country but atleast they have what I need. Thanx.