Questions specific to the early 20V Quattro 90.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions specific to the early 20V Quattro 90.

I just got this beautiful machine a couple weeks ago. 1990 20V Quattro sedan. Haven't even driven it - brought it home on the trailer and drove it straight into the garage to do all the major services before I'm going to take it out on the roads with pride. I have been doing some reading and research. It seems my model has a couple features because it is an earlier one which may make me happy depending on what you folks tell me.

The first one is that my rear struts are the type you can separate the rear wheel bearing hubs and replace the bearings with a press. The newer ones (1991s?) you have to pull the entire strut just to replace the wheel bearings. Another aspect of this rear strut design is the literature suggests I can replace the shock dampers by themselves - again without needing to replace the entire strut assembly. That's what I want to talk about. Does anyone know if that is the case - I can just buy a cartridge style damper and replace it? If so, anyone have a clue where to get just the dampers. I would like to refresh them.

Thanks. I'm hoping that the newer integrated struts did not totally supercede my style, because if that is the case I suspect my only option is a total strut replacement.

Regards,
DougM
Old 02-19-2013, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Actually, you have the info backwards. The later B3s had the two piece struts front and rear. If you are lucky, it came with a rear sway bar. If not the subframe may have the attachment locations for it.

You can replace the shocks without replacing the struts itself.

Greg W.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Greg,

Thanks for the info. Mine has a carbon center driveshaft, cast front lower arms, a rear sway, and the two piece struts. I should check my VIN as I thought it was built earlier.

Today, I stripped the Quattro down for the timing belt service. A buddy is coming over tomorrow to supervise the actual belt change as he is an excellent VAG tech and I am happy to have his advice for the key 30 minutes of this work. The bumper pull was a bit exciting because I was alone and the plastic bits near the wheelwell were stubborn.

So Greg - any thoughts on getting this style cartridge? Audi only, or aftermarket? Thanks! Hopefully when I check in tomorrow evening the new belt will be in place and the car ready for reassembly.

DougM
Old 02-20-2013, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good then you have all the good stuff. The 20Vs mostly came with all the late stuff. Probably a late 20V. Does you ISV hose run to the front of the intake manifold or the side? Does the car have Girling 54(single piston) front or the Girling 60 (dual piston) front brakes?

You may want to watch the carbon fibre section of the driveshaft, than can deteriate over time.

I run Konis. Always have.

Greg W.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can't remember which is which; my isv is the smaller one and it connects to the intake manifold in the front. Though I have 14" bbs mesh wheels so I think I have the G54 brakes.

Is mine early or late? (1990)
Old 02-20-2013, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Heh, had to run down to the garage in barefeet to check. Then had to move a couple things to look at my intake. I'm a third of the way through a major service and the intake and air cleaner are off in a corner. My ISV tube connects to the forward most end of the intake above #1 cylinder though I thought I remembered pulling a tube off the center of the intake as well. The brakes appear to be single piston though I'd have to flop on the floor to confirm. It's flippin' 28 degrees out there!

Today I was stymied by a 5mm allen bolt. Literally the LAST bolt on the LAST object in my way to pull the timing belt. It's the lower timing cover bolt and it's slightly blocked by the main pulley. Some idiot tech used a bolt-out to get it out (has the gashes around perimeter) because the allen was stripped. Then they freakin' reused it. And overtightened it. And chose the one spot to put it where access is limited. Is there a special place in hell for these folks??

DougM