Searched for "Loud A/C Compressor" - no descriptions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searched for "Loud A/C Compressor" - no descriptions...

'98 Cabriolet; AFC 2.8L 12V V6; 65,000 mi.

Hey guys,

When I drive with my A/C on, it sounds like the serpentine belt (replaced 5,000 miles ago at 60,000) is working REALLY hard to turn the A/C compressor. I hear a lot of people here talking about their loud A/C compressors, but I don't know what a "bad" loud compressor is, as opposed to a "typical" sound when the A/C is running.

Mine basically sounds like another engine running in tandem with my 2.8. I can hear it a lot more with the top up. If I have the temp setting all the way to "Cold," I hear it all the time. If I have the temp set toward the "middle" of the thermostat, I don't hear it as loudly.

Here's my best attempt at the sound it makes. If any of you ever had a 4-litre straight-6 Jeep, you'll know EXACTLY what I'm talking about, here. On those older Jeeps, the secondary air injection system used to rev in tandem with the engine. If you started that vehicle and took off right away, it sounded REALLY cool. If you say the name "Zha-Zha Gabor" (used to be on an old TV show called "Green Acres"), it's the name "Zha-Zha" that's important to describe this noise.

It's kind of like a soft "J"... Now imagine a "whirring" noise like "ZZZHHH" going up and down with the speed of the engine like the big honking secondary air injector on an old Jeep, and you've got my noise. This noise has never gotten any worse than the day I bought the car 5 months ago. The A/C has never failed to function properly.

Also of possible importance: I can hear a bit of a bubbly hissing noise from the foot compartment under the glove box (in the vehicle) of the passenger side of the car whenever I have the A/C on, as well. It starts as soon as I hit the A/C button, and takes about 15 seconds to stop after I either shut down the A/C or even after I turn off the car.

I'm almost wondering if I have a drain that's plugged somewhere, and the system is so full of condensate, that the Compressor is having to work double-hard trying to flush it out to no avail...

Any ideas guys?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, your compressor is going out. replace it