Shocking Suprise with headlight replacements...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocking Suprise with headlight replacements...

So i decided to take a risk and buy some of those high wattage (50-80w) headlights off of ebay that claim to have "drastically better nightvision" blablabla...so i shelled out 15 bucks and got myself a pair of blue H4 lights to replace my stock ones (in a 93 90s) now being the computer engineer/physics dual major that i am, i did some quick calculations concerning the guage of the headlamp wires (mine at 18 guage, as they are stock, all of yours are as well) just to be sure these new lights wouldnt melt the wires. so i just got them an installed them today, and oh my lord what a difference! i can definatly see significanly farther and clearer at night. honestly i was shocked when they ever turned on, but they are great. i suggest checking out ebay for a pair of them, there are like a millon people selling them. try em out. youll be happy.

adam.
Old 06-11-2001, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Interesting.. Whatever happened with your AM radio?
Old 06-11-2001, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Interesting.. Whatever happened with your AM radio?

Havnt actully gotten around to testing out the am reception, due to being in college, and actully goign to summer school (dual majors suck) and working, i find my only time off the weekends are spend doing absolutly nothing (except looking for 95 octane gas, there is a rumor going around it can be found somewhere in fairfield county (ct) but ive never found it here at lehigh (bethlehem Pa) oh well.
adam.
Old 06-11-2001, 07:45 PM

I had thought of trying those myself... I think now I just might. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-11-2001, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 95 oct????? What do you need that for???

You have a '93 90....that takes 91(AKI) octane.

You are thinking 95 (RON) octane gas. RON is a European designation and last time I checked PA was in the US ;-) You need to go by the US octane rating which is most commonly AKI.....for that all you need is 91 octane!! Anything above that is a waste of money (unless your car is heavily moded)!! It's going to be a long college career if you don't start checking units.....that's the key to physics!!

P.S. The wires aren't the failure point on the headlight system. The headlight switch is the failure point.

If you're bored and you really want to verify if your "wiring" can handle the power use a multimeter and get the resistance through the headlight switch. Now using the wattage of both bulbs (there is only ONE "wire" for both headlights through the switch) calculate the current!! Lastly, check that current against the allowable current!! It's not going to pass with flying colors anymore!!!! Remember, you always have to check worst case!! HAVE FUN!!
---
Andrew
90 80q (80/100W bulbs)
91 90
95 90q (80/100W bulbs)
Old 06-12-2001, 01:16 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Wait until it rains! The Blue color doesnt work well in the rain! BTDT.
Old 06-12-2001, 05:13 AM

Default IT RAINED LIKE HELL LAST NIGHT(4 INCHES AN HOUR) WITH HAIL.

IT WAS MY FIRST SERIOUS RAIN WITH THE FAUX XENON LIGHTS AND THEY WERE GREAT. I WAS WORRIED ABOUT BUYING THEM, AS I DO NOT LIKE BEING A POSER, OR BEING CONFUSED WITH THE SOUPED UP CIVIC CROWD. BUT I LIVE IN THE STICKS(ALL BACK CURVY ROADS, GREAT FOR DRIVING) AND THE STOCK LIGHTS WEREN'T CUTTING IT. BUT I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS.
Old 06-12-2001, 01:21 PM

Default Wiring switch...

Good point, i didnt even think to check the tolerance on the switch. hmmm... well the lights seems to be working fine, i think if they were going to melt they would have by now (used em last night for close to 3 hours) so thats great. it was also raining here last night, and the lights preformed great in the rain. Highly suggest getting some of these lights! hopefully this weekend ill be able to find some time to work on my radio problem. ill let you all know how it goes.

adam.
Old 06-12-2001, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've had 80/100w lights....

...in my 80q and 90q for about 4-6 months. No problems so far. The 80q gets driven more so if one car is going to lose the switch it will be this one. I'll post if it ever happens (I was too lazy to check thje switch myself)!!

I agree the lights make a nice difference in the 93+ cars. The H4 headlights are much better with the higher wattage bulbs.

However, I can't say the same thing for the pre-93' cars. The 9004 bulbs don't show any increase in the light. It seems a little bit brighter but not by much. You can see looking into the headlight that most the light (blue tint) is trapped inside the light....looks kind of dorky. I wouldn't recommend the higher wattage bulbs for the pre-93' cars.

If your car takes H4's then I would go for it but if you have 9004's then it's not worth the money (IMHO)!!

Good luck with your radio!!!
---
Andrew
90 80q
91 90
95 90q
Old 06-13-2001, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't you guys have relays in your cars that the light switch activates?

Quick Reply: Shocking Suprise with headlight replacements...