Short shift now taller?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short shift now taller?

Question for those of you using the billzcat shift kit. I thought that I had read sometime ago, that after the installation of the billzcat the shifter had actually raised about a full inch. Has anyone that installed this cut down the height of the shifter itself? If so were there any problems shifting after the shortening? I'm curious because I would prefer that the actual height was trimmed down a bit but don't want to run into any problems. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The top of the shifter stays the same height...

the pivot point is what is raises thus reducing the "throw" of the shifter. You can still cut it down, I here it gets alittle "notchy" feeling though.

You can save money buying the parts yourself if you wish too, search the forum.

Jim Bush
Holland, MI
Old 07-18-2003, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Short shifters work by . . . .

. . . raising the pivot point of the shift rod, which lifts the shifter up, but reduces throw. If you want to cut down the shifter, get a die & tap set and thread the shift rod down how ever much you are going to cut off.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Appreciate it

I understand how the "short" shift kit works by raising the pivot point, but the height of the shift lever itself was my concern. Not that it's already too tall, but a shorter lever would be my preference. There's a good reason it's at the height that it's at and by cutting it down your are taking away leverage which was my concern. Notchy is ok as long as it's not impossible to put into 5 gears and reverse. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Short shift now taller?

Yes the shifter stalk can be cut down. I did this when I installed the kit on my B4. You will have to tap new threads on the stalk.

I was able to cut 2" off the shifter doing this. Also had to cut down the plastic pc on the inside of the shift boot.

It definatly reduces the throw cutting down the shifter combined with the shift kit. The only drawback is that cutting down the shifter also reduces the leverage on the shifter. If you know your physics at all, its a simple issue of lever and fulcrum pt. The shorter the lever = more force needed to move the lever the same distance. It's pretty much common sense though..

Anyways, try it out...I like it.

Mike
Old 07-18-2003, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Short shift now taller?

Do you have a picture of that Mike? Yea, the physics portion of it is what concerned me. 2 in. is a lot to remove, so I'd like to see that, a pic with just the shift boot and **** on is fine. As far as threading it, no big deal. Momo ***** don't use threads, just set screws.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ther are some nice Audi OEM ***** . . .

. . . the RS4 one is sweet, looks like an A4 one, but with "Air Leather". A4 ***** can be had in a variety of colors.

I wasent trying to speak down ot you about the Short Shifter question, jsut explaing it so others who don't know about it could under stand, I'm sorry you took it the wrong way.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I cut mine 1 1/2" before installing the shifter kit.

the result after installation of the kit was pretty hard shifting. I didn't like it so I bought the oem lever with original height and shift so smoothly and softly. It did raise the height a bit.