the strut replacement, in my world

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the strut replacement, in my world

I just replaced all of my struts, and mounts, it was rather easy, the front strut assemblies didn't need to come out, just the insides of the strut. I started by jacking the car up and put jacks stands under it, then put a jack under the hub assembly in a way not to break things, but hold it up to keep pressure on the spring and such, then loosen the cap in the middle with channel locks, and proceed to put the spring compressors on the spring in the wheel well. then take off the top nut, and the next one, I used a 22mm socket on some vise grips, and a 7mm allen wrench. the other nut kinda thing comes off easy. now with the spring compressed the mount and plate should be free and easy to pull out, after they come out the strut will just lift out the top hole where the mount was. simple, kinda. then you put the new one in, I found that you need to compress the new strut, so I used a screwdriver to push it down, and a strong string to hold it down cause you can't have the screwdrive there, so then you just put it back together, align everything and let the strut up slowly then if that isn't far enough, jack the hub up.

the hardest part about the rear was taking off the strut nuts inside the trunk. but with the back you need to take the whole assembly out it is easy just 2 bolts in the wheel well, and the top nut. after you have it out you will need to compress the spring and take the mount off the top, then the strut will pull out of the spring, I took it to a vise and got a huge pipe wrench to take the middle cap off. then you put the new one in and go the reverse route

I had one major problem through out the process, I got the wrong part from tire rack for the rear, so my car had to sit for a couple days, while I got the right parts. they were very good about it, I didn't have to argue or anything. I used the kyb replacements. it also seems to sit higher, it is understandable.

so that is my first strut replacement and I think it went very well. my car handles alot better, now I just need an alignment.

89 90 quattro
k&n filter
hood scoop (custom)kinda ugly but it works
switch panel next to sun roof switch (for the neons in the grill and amp, and future jump start box)
15in sub with 200w amp (not much but it gets the job done)
brand new struts(kyb)

future
cam shaft
fuel injectors
built in battery jump box
exhaust (not sure what kind yet)