Three years and three tries it fired up......i love this car....

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three years and three tries it fired up......i love this car....

I posted a while back about removing the starter from my 88 90q after the car has been lined up for 3 years on canada's east coast.

Well i got the starter out, did some repairs popped it back in only to realize the selinoid is toast. I also realized that the fuel pump was not making any noise or cutting in.

I then concluded that the bad gas(three years old) had varnished and the condensation had froze in the fuel pump and filter.

I was only had a few days to work on the car and wasn't about to let that stop me from getting the car running. I basically wanted it to start to ensure the motor was still fine.
To get around the pump we took the plug off the air boot that goes to the intake and poured gas in the little hole. We then bridged the starter and after two tries it almost caught. Then at the third time it started as if it has been running all along i couldn't believe it.

I didn't want to burn up the injectors or fuel distributor so i only let it run and idle for a few secs but was i ever excited.

I am going back in two weeks to get it rolling hopefully the snow will be falling as i finish replacing the parts that are still in need of replacement.
Starter, front calipers; fuel pump, tray, lines; slave line
then it's to the side roads and lots for lots of fun.

sorry so long, but i am so suprised that it started after so long, not to mention how bad the starter was before i started to mess around with it.

I'll write more if i actually get it on the road over christmas....
cheers
Old 12-13-2006, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Three years and three tries it fired up......i love this car....

Same situation as me, I have an old b3 90 that has been sitting outside for two years and sitting inside my garage for one, i have yet to hear it run...but oh boy will i love it. Even though its been that long I'd put money on it that it fires up no questions asked. Gotta love it~