Weird sound coming from the rear with new suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird sound coming from the rear with new suspension

After getting my Bilstein SP's installed with Vogtlands and replacing the control arm bushings and strut mounts I am getting almost a crunching sound, (not like metal on metal, but almost like I can hear every bit of weight shift in the rear) from the rear when I go over any type of dip or an initial incline. No sounds coming from the front, as I heard this was more common. Any ideas on what this could be? Thanks!
Old 09-23-2004, 06:37 PM
Banned

Default Ok to explain since I have researched this noise very very thuraly.

Ok if you do the work your self you will know what im talking about. I have removed the rear suspension several times looking for the freaking noisy problem. It seems as though today when I removed it and smacked it around to find out where the noise was coming from this is what happens. The schock smacks the side fo the strut housing creating a clinging noise. basicly when it moves side to side or over bumps it hits the strut housing. The strut housing is the big black bpart you see at the top of the wheel when you jack the car up. Anyway I put rubber in the middle of it just to see if this was the problem and bam it did hardly anything at all. The solution lol. Go out and buy your self a 2" rubber house that is about a foot long. Buy two big pull ties. Now cut the rubber so it opens up and put it around the shock. Twisty tie the rubber so it stays on the shock without moving and bam you have no more noise, I think. I havn't tried it today but im positive it will work. However I am curious as to why MikTip doesnt have this same problem.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Did you torque the cap of the strut tube down enough with the Bilstein tool?

It calls for some pretty heavy torque. The cap keeps the strut tight in the strut tube. Perhaps this is causing the noise? I also heard that putting duct tabe around the strut will deaden the noise due to the tighter fit within the tube.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:32 PM
Banned

Default Yes number 10 sits on 11.

the duck tape mod is for the front struts I think. When i do the 2" tubing mod ill take pics for you.