WTB: Trailer hitch to fit 1993 Audi 90 Quattro (B4)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB: Trailer hitch to fit 1993 Audi 90 Quattro (B4)

Finding a trailer hitch for my car has been a difficult task. So far I've ordered it three times new, only to find out each time that it wasn't actually in stock, called three more places, wasn't able to find one new. So I started searching for used, had someone tell me they had one on a car, charge me for it, then discover that it was welded on. So I've got a refund on the way for that one also.

Anyone have a proper trailer hitch for my car?

My next step is to fabricate one similar to the Curt 11161. It's not my preferred course of action but it may be the only way to get a hitch on the car.

I'm willing to pay a touch over $200 for a new one or, depending on condition, a little over $100 for a used one.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

any I have ever seen were custom built and not Audi stock.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was hoping to find one of the Curt ones and not have to fab one.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

cool, never seen one of those.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: fab or find a sedan trailer hitch...

in North America. I'd love to find a purpose built European-made hitch for the B4, but haven't so far.

I was able to find one privately exactly as you have illustrated, but the make may have been different ("D'Lan" perhaps). It had never been installed previously. I was also able to find the "Kurt" mounting instructions on-line.

If you are trying to make something similar, it may help to know that, on this particular hitch, the four holes on the larger horizontal horse-shoe shaped forward end are spaced to sit wide apart but not directly on (either inside or outside, I don't recall which) the stock Audi floor-pan reinforcement bracing arms welded to, and visible from inside the spare tire-well.

Also, note how there is a clearance relief cut into the inboard side of the driver's side rear vertical mounting flange. There was a reason for that also, although I can't remember what it was just now.

It was incredibly easy to mount this hitch, and only required that one remove the rear bumper by it's two vertical mounting Allen-bolts at the rear-ends of the mounting struts, before positioning the thing to drill the floor-pan holes. I used a floor-jack and some wooden blocks to brace the hitch up against the floor-pan so I could measure and mark where to drill, making sure it was centered and straight, etc.

As it is mounted quite far forward when installed, the hitch required that I use a slight S-shaped ball adapter that up-side down, lowers the ball when mounted, so that the trailer's hitch is well clear of the bumper during trailer hook-up. This ball lowering is not ideal, as it results in a little too much positive rake of the trailer and less hitch ground clearance than I'd prefer. Perhaps use of a longer ball adapter is possible.

Another possible place to source a hitch is of course, from the wrecking yards, or from an owner who is selling the car anyhow.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

There was a Curt retailer that had some old Audi hitches, not sure if they had one for the B4 but they had them for the V8q (1990-1994)...
Old 05-13-2011, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

I haven't been able to find anyone with any remaining stock.
Curt bought Da'Lan, who was one of the few who carried hitches for "other" cars and seems to have discontinued the hitch.

If you know someone with current stock, please let me know who so I can buy one.