Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

2003 Audi A3 2.0T Base A/C Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Audi A3 2.0T Base A/C Compressor

I bought this car knowing that it needed a new compressor. I found a compressor online and I'm ready to make an attempt at an install. Has there been a post about this or could someone point me in the right direction? I looks simple, but this is my first German car and I know that I'm probably under thinking it.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 54 Posts

A few tips based on my experience:
  • If there's still pressure in the system, take it to an A/C shop to suck out the refrigerant. It's illegal to release it to the atmosphere because it destroys the ozone layer.
  • You also need to replace the drier whenever you open the system.
  • If your old compressor failed because of bearing failure and the lines got containminated, flush out the lines and be prepared to get a new condenser. Can't really flush out the condenser because the passage ways are super tiny.
  • Put in the specified amount of coolant in WEIGHT. Don't just go by the pressure on the gauge. Use a kitchen scale or something similar that measures in grams. Place the can on the scale and watch how much the weight decreases as the refrigerant goes from the can to the system.
  • Don't forget the oil. Put in the specified amount into the drier.
  • Don't get a rebuilt/refurbished or new made in China compressor. Get a brand new one with warranty.
  • If you need an expansion valve, get a Genuine VW/Audi one or real OEM. Don't get aftermarket ones.
  • Get a set of hi/low valves on standby. If your old valves are the old style rubber ball valve (vs Schrader valve), don't screw down the connector from the pressure gauge all the way down, just enough to get a reading. The old style rubber valves break easily and will leak.
  • Vacuum the hell out of it for an hour or so. Make sure there are no leaks.
  • Get some A/C UV dye if you get leaks. Much easier to find with dye.
  • While you're at it, check to make sure both fans work in high and low speed.
  • While you're at it, use a garden hose and clean the radiator/condensor.

Last edited by findalex; 08-23-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent advice from findalex.
The operative clause "attempt at an install" causes some concern. If you're not 100% sure of what you're doing, far better to pay a shop to do it for you. Don't go to the dealer, as they will charge you double of what a smaller trusted mechanic will charge. And yes, it's strongly recommended to get a new condenser as well. It's not a significant cost increase, but best to do it considering all the labor involved to get to the compressor. Plus, if you utilize the existing condenser and there are problems, you may damage your new compressor.