Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

2006 A3 Quattro 3.2 Ltr Lagging Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 A3 Quattro 3.2 Ltr Lagging Pickup

Hi guys..

After many months of searching I finally found an A3 that I love. It had perfect dealer maintenance, low mileage and is as far as a non-technician can tell, perfect. The engine is sweet though having been parked for a while before buying it I am tempted to service it.

However, after a long drive back I have noticed something I would consider odd about it, that others may not and I just want to be sure about it.

From a stop, at the lights for example, as I accelerate away, there is a slight lag and then a small jolt as the transmission engages. Once driving this is not noticeable, I just wondered if this lag was due to the AWD or whether something more sinister is at play? I guess I noticed a lack of tightness in response. Use of gas pedal did not immediately transfer to the wheels, rather there is this tiny delay and a small jolt. Anyone else have this?
Old 06-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm not an A3 expert but a lot of the other audi have what some call "tiptronic lag" or Tip Lag.

If you search there should be lots of information.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

It is not tiptronic lag, but DSG lag.

The A3's automatic is not a slushbox (aka tiptronic), but an actual dual clutch stick shift that is controlled by computers. It tries to mimic a slushbox with the creeping feel when the brakes are let go. So when you take your foot off the brake and onto the gas, it will first recognize you took your foot off the brake and tries to initiate a creep. but if you put your feet on the gas sooner than that. it will not likely interrupt that process. It might determine how abrupt the clutch is engaged though.