Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery replacement

Hi All,

Just thought Id let everyone know that the Optima Red top 75/35 battery fit just fine in the 2006 A3 2.0T. Ive searched around for a new battery but no luck. There are not that many around in GR 48/47 size. At least not in my area.

The battery itself is a little smaller and so much lighter than the stock battery. The only mod I had to do is cut the top lid of the cover to the battery box to accomodate the new placement of the negative wire. Everything else fit just fine. So it still looks stock and all the stock pieces are back in place.

Took about 10 min.

On A side note...the car starts so much easier with this battery. It used to turn over at least 2 times before it fired up.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re: Battery replacement

I've had my '04 Avant 1.8T since Aug '03 and this is my first major DIY job. My mileage at 37K is low. It was a nice 5+ year run of nothing to worry about, but now the "fun" begins.

I have > a modicum of mechanical savvy, but I'm no gearhead. When I woke up to a dead battery, I thought, piece of cake, how hard could it be to swap it out? The greatest problem turned out to be that recessed 6mm hex head bolt that's positioned at the lower front lip as a hold down clamp. I went through my collection of hex wrenches, even have extended length set, but none could reach. So, in additon to the price of the battery, add the $20 cost for a set of metric hex bits. (Note: I did try an overnight charge, it looked so capable and new, but after 24hrs only achieved 10.4v. Yes the fluid was checked and level was good. Take heed, expect the battery will fail after 5 years.) Another mystery was that small tube exiting the top right of the battery. Never seen such a setup before. Turned out it's a vent tube to direct caustic and explosive vapor, possibly fluid over flow elsewhere. I wrestled it out w/ pliers and screwdriver. The Walmart battery had a small hole located in the same place. The replacement battery I saw at Auto Zone for $85? had the vent hole in the rear and it was a different size.

After searching this forum, I decided to go w/ a Walmart $65 battery.
Tale of the tape:
OEM (l x w x h inches)
12 3/16 x 6 13/16 x 7.5" Weight: 49lbs

Walmart 48-3
10 3/16 x 6.75 x 6 7/8" weight 38lbs

The Walmart battery is smaller and much lighter, but it fit and was reconnected fine. Guess it's being lighter means less lead. I wonder if this will translate to less service life? Stay tuned.

It was my understanding that the radio code would have to be reentered to unlock it, but that wasn't an issue. To my surprise, the radio worked fine. The only trouble I've had, was recoding my primary key (the secondary key arms/unarms fine) such that it could lock/unlock the door. Haven't been able to get it to program successfully. I also changed it's battery thinking that would be the cause, but still no luck. My guess that the key FOB battery ran down long ago and I need to reprogram it.

With all of the researching, learning the process, travel to stores, etc, I'll say it took approx six hrs to change the battery. If I had to do it again today, it'd take only two or so (including travel time.) You might argue that I just should have driven to the dealer/battery store and let them do the job. I presently have more time than money, and besides I derive a lot of enjoyment from fixing stuff myself.

Mark
2004 A4 Avant 1.8T