Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

DICE install....question.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default marls is correct/switches do work, sort of

Playlists work fine on my DICE with a Gen 5 video iPod. They don't work with my friend's Gen 3 iPod, so that is another factor.

Also, one switch setting combo produces track numbers in sync with the iPod and, IIRC, play times, but both are practically useless functions and my experience was that in that setting mode, the likelihood of a freeze or crash in the DICE box was higher than with it set to full manual, which shows a new track # only if you skip to a new song.

If you get a crash/freeze, first try disconnecting the iPod and trying combos of radio on/off as you re-connect. If that fails, interrupt power to the DICE for a minute.

-dan
Old 02-24-2007, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Hmmmmmmmmm..not sure if the wire's long enuf

it would invole pulling the vent and drilling a strategic hole in one side for the wire. follow awe's vent gauge install pdf
Old 02-24-2007, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default many, many crashes.....

very dissapointed...waited a while to get it after ordering. On backorder. now, if I change CD's, 1 to 2, to change playlists...it crashes. only once, have I been able to change songs from the steering wheel controls. 144$??
Old 02-24-2007, 11:47 AM

Default outdoor diagnosis

I'm sitting in my A3 (gotta love WiFi) to check this out.

Just in case the lousy docs with the DICE have you fezzled, here's a step by step. Apologies if this is stuff you know.

Key off, turn on radio, press CD, should say CDC1 on display. Plug in iPod (which model are you using?), using its controls go select a playlist and start playing first song. OK so far?

Now press the >| button on the radio (4th from left) and does it advance one track?

Turn on key. Try steering wheel controls. Left should advance/go back one track at a time; right is still good ole volume.

Now press CD+. Left should advance one playlist. Press CD-. Now left steering wheel should control songs in the new playlist. If you forget to switch back to CDC1 and are still in playlist mode and start rolling the left wheel, weirdness sometimes happens.

Some iPod models won't do the playlist change via the radio or steering wheel, but should work fine for volume at a minimum and usually also FF or RW one song at a time.

-dan
Old 02-24-2007, 11:57 AM

Default PS: switches

Mine acts more reliably when it is in manual iPod mode (the time does not increment on the radio display). The docs are very confusing on which is off/on so experiment.

I'll come fix it if you wash my car [grin].

-dan
Old 02-24-2007, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

using a Nano (no Borat jokes please;-) also Nav...
Old 02-24-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Re: using a Nano (no Borat jokes please;-) also Nav...

Rats; I could test Gen 1,3 and 5 (video) here, but don't have access to a Nano. It may be among the models that won't do playlists, in which case just make a new list that has all tunes you'd want in your whip.

As for Nav, also can't test, so I wonder if it interferes? Any way to isolate that?

-dan
Old 02-24-2007, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it seems as tho......

it wants to do those things...CD2 wants to scroll playlists, but when you try, the unit crashes....and when I first hooked it up, the controls on the Nav, changed songs, and the S wheel changed songs...now nada...I don't need it to do alot, but I do want it to do what it is supposed to. Thanks for you help, Dan. I'll be there tomorrow to wash your whip.
Z.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default observation...

the display on CD1 obviously knows it's now the ipod...the list goes to 99 tracks, and whats interesting, when you change tracks via the cd controls, it changes the track on the display listing, and, resets the counter...but DOES'NT change the track on the ipod, or that's playing. sux. 144$. I'll wait to hear from Enfig.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:36 PM

Default "resets the counter"

That suggests you are in the non-manual mode on the DICE, which I found less reliable. Two more things to try, therefore: change those pesky switches and after you do (or while you do) be sure to disconnect the DICE from power completely (which is sometimes the only way I can get it to recover from a bad crash).

To be fair, it has only "bad crashed" after doing some aggressive testing. It has only mildly crashed (won't respond to S wheel or radio controls) about three times in many months of otherwise excellent service. And recovering from the mini crash was just a matter of turning off the key and reconnecting the iPod.

Also, does your nano have firmware 1.1.1 or newer?

-dan

Quick Reply: DICE install....question.......