Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

DSG preselect gear indicator. Useful? Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 12:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You sir, are on crack if you think you can shift faster and more consistently than DSG

Go figure coming from a MT6 guy. Shouldn't MisterJJ be in this thread extolling the virtues of DSG?

Dave
Old 02-05-2006, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shifting mid-corner? Tsk, tsk... NT
Old 02-05-2006, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The info I've seen is 40 MS, not 600.

Still think you can beat that, sparky? ;o)
Old 02-05-2006, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Maybe for you the DSG doesn't work but I'm willing to bet for most

<<If you think you can shift manually at 6ms >>

I thought we were talking .6 sec... someone set us straight please..

One thing I noticed...tell me if this is true/not. The box shifts quicker during more rapid acceleration than low-revs poking around. Got out there in the snow today and still can touch my shoulder and hand back on wheel before car shifts into higher gear....

And the remark about crack (not you Timmay) give it a break... I like the DSG but it sure is not a replacement for manual. And besides, the PADDLES NEED TO BE ON THE COLUMN NOT THE WHEEl! It is too easy to shift into the wrong gear or slam into neutral if beginning the "manual" process out of Drive and use the console shifter to change up.

"I like my DSG, my wife likes my DSG" Del Griffith, shower ring curtain guy.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: The info I've seen is 40 MS, not 600.

That time is not "from activating the lever to gear selection to clutch engagement". It is from gear activation to clutch engagement. The delay is from the time my finger moves the paddle to the time the gear selector in the trans moves....

That is what I have been trying to explain, the delay is not in F1-rally etc etc.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well, it is an electronic signal, right?

So, that stuff moves pretty damn fast. LOL. You saying you are faster than that? Wow!
Old 02-05-2006, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You saying you are faster than that? Wow!

No.

Saying it is possible to shift faster than the delay in the system from paddle movement to clutch engagement. Especially true under normal driving situations, including while in Drive. Read.

Sometimes the car will even shift UP while in "manual mode"! What does THAT have to do with 40, 60, 600 or .6?
Old 02-05-2006, 07:19 PM

Default It's not about the speed, it's about the timing.

Steve, let me have a crack at explaining this.

Everyone's saying that it would be tough for even the most experienced and highly trained driver to shift an MT6 more quickly or more precisely than DSG, and they're probably right. And they're also right that time spent shifting is time lost on the track, especially for upshifts.

However, in timed competition, it isn't just about the speed of the shift -- it's about control over the timing, especially on downshifts. The DSG will sometimes shift for you, even in manual mode, and it's very hard to be precise about exactly when it will shift.

Those who don't have much competition experience or significant training are likely to have a harder time grasping the importance of this, but as a successful competition driver, let me tell you I wouldn't be willing to give up control over shift timing just to get a few ticks quicker on the upshifts.

Disclaimer: I've only driven a DSG car once, on the street, and didn't have much time to get familiar with it, but it was enough to tell me that I wasn't willing to spend more money to end up with a car that weighs more and gets worse mileage.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DSG only shifts for you in manual mode if you hit the redline limiter.

Also, it isn't hard to adapt to the "timing" of DSG . . . . hitting the paddle a split second before you want it to shift is much like deciding to shift in a manual.

Also, the DSG gets 1mpg better in city and 1mpg worse on highway . . . I'd hardly consider that "worse gas mileage" when the estimates are based on a thrifty 6MT driver.

Again, why am I defending DSG? Probably because there are glaring inaccuracies in people's statements here . . .
Old 02-06-2006, 07:28 AM

Default It won't downshift as you slow down?

I seem to recall it downshifting for me as I came to a stop (again, on the street). Could easily be misremembering, and I don't know how that would map to a hard braking zone at the end of a long straight before a tight corner.

As for adapting to the timing, my understanding is that it pre-selects the gear it expects you'll need next. If it guesses wrong, it takes longer to shift. Will it always guess right in a competition situation? I don't have enough experience with it to know the answer.