Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

DSG Problems? report them here

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSG Problems? report them here

this should help the problem get noticed. Please report problem/failure here. In my world this is a serious concern and a real life safety problem...

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 07-13-2006, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That site's for safety-related problems. Not mechanical problems.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:38 AM

Default I'd say sudden and catastofic loss of transmission is a

I'd say sudden and catastrophic loss of transmission is a safety issue, especially when it happens on a busy state or interstate road. Plus it is listed by the site as an example of the type of problems that should be reported.

Either way it is good to document your tranny failure with them because it helps you establish a paper trail of the problem and that makes it harder for Audi to ignore the problem in the future. It is especially important because statistically speaking there seem to be a lot of failures (where the same part malfunctions) relative to the number of A3 on the road.

As a consumer, you need to know your rights and you have a right to file this report. If enough reports are filed the government must file a safety warning and then Audi must deal with the issue.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It might have been sudden, but I doubt it was catastrophic.

Inconvenient, certainly. But not a catastrophe.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:19 AM

Default in my book any tranny failure is catastrophic especially

on a brand new car and especially when you need to call roadside to tow you and especially when it will take several weeks to get fix....use another word if you like.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Given that Audi wants very much to sell DSG in all it's cars, I can't imagine they are going

to sweep it under the rug or ignore it. However, it may take a while to figure out just what happened, how it happened, and come up with a fix that stays fixed. So it's not so simple as to file a complaint and immediately get a fix for the problem. Also, there needs to be some clear-cut signs that it's a pattern (yes, we know there is a trend on the forum) outside of the normal number of cars that will have a malfunction of some kind.

I suspect that they know there is some sort of failure pattern, but without a sure fix, all they can do is throw parts at the problem and keep people in a holding pattern until a solution is found. Given they hadn't had an issue with the TT's DSG, I don't think they have a large stock of tranny parts (or whole trannys) on hand, so they have run out quickly.

Check out some other brands/models on that website. In addition to what seems like real problems, there appears to be lots of operator error, wishful thinking, sour grapes, and other issues that don't sound like a direct fault of the car. They need to sort through all of those.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I had a throttle position sensor go bad

on my 328i...I almost got t-boned by a car doing ~50 when half-way across the intersection my car sputtered and was barely able to maintain headway.

Anything that directly impacts your ability to go, stop, or steer is a serious issue when it fails.

/bill