Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Free K&N Induction!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free K&N Induction!!!

Can't believe my luck. Ordered this induction kit by mail order well over a month ago (before I was aware of the risks with MAF). Was supposed to be 48hour delivery, and when I hadn't received it within a week, I cancelled the order.
The payment had since been refunded to my credit card, but to my surprise the delivery guy turned up yesterday with it.
£70 saved. Happy Days.

Like I said, I am now aware of the risks involved with the K&N, however included is a very well documented set of instructions - all colour photos of my exact model of car. It also stresses the delicate handling of the MAF as well as providing a cold-air feed hose.

I will try it out and, fingers crossed, the MAF will survive.

The filter is 40k guaranteed so I don't plan to put any oil near it.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes but...

I fitted one as it arrived in the box new, and still ended up loosing my MAF...

But once you are aware of the risk then it is your decision...
Old 02-21-2004, 03:43 AM

Default i lost my maf

i fitted an k&n, i have lost my maf, can anyone help me get it back ?
Old 02-21-2004, 05:20 AM

Default Re: i lost my maf

me again, i diddnt know what to do 4 my beloved A3 1.8t...
so, what i ended up doing is re-fitting the boring old manufacturer's air box, yes the problem was solved in regards to "MAF", but it still isnt giving me what i want.

i want more responsive air flow without no loss of maf, please, please, please... some one help me...
Old 02-23-2004, 02:31 AM

Default The standard airbox is pretty good.....

I doubt you'll see any gains with a K&N panel filter in the standard box, and with a K&N 57i kit you'll definately see losses, due to the higher induction air temps.

Most of the aftermarket filters out there use oil as the filtration agent, which requires regular renewel. I'm a fan of stainless steel induction filters, as used in most of the high end Japanese tuning.

Jabbasport do a stainless steel filter kit with heatsheild, which looks nice, is shielded from a majority of the engine bay heat and will no doubt improve performance slightly.

Alternatively you could opt for another stainless steel filter, either a universal one and then make your own heatshield or use the Quickshift Taipan, which I have fitted, available from www.jbrperformance.com.<ul><li><a href="http://www.jabbasport.co.uk">Jabbasport</a></li></ul>
Old 02-26-2004, 04:44 AM

Default Re: The standard airbox is pretty good.....

Its now been a week with the new induction filter, and my view is the system is certainly not worth the £70 they're charging (so its just as well I paid nout!).

The main difference is the sound - A low, loud roar is given off at 3000revs in all gears, which may appeal to some, but not to me. I hate boy racers in their souped-up Corsa's and I can only hope people don't see me in that light.

I think there is an increase in power, most notably in 3rd gear which seems to have a larger ratio ( it can be used at a lower speed and increases to a quicker speed than before).

Finally, I havn't noticed any problems with the MAF or with temperature. The cold air scoop supplied with the filter seems to be doing its job fine. I have popped up the bonnet after long journeys and the engine bay and filter appear to be at a normal temperature.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It takes time for the MAF to fail...

oil will slowly build up on the element...