Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

picked up A3 3.2 and Pre-Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picked up A3 3.2 and Pre-Ignition

This is a 3.2.

I don't have time at the moment to do the customary 'Here's my new car' post with pics.

My first Audi and not sure how I feel about that at the moment.

There is the harmonic resonance sound that starts at 55 and is loud at 80 mph. I guess this still isnt resolved. No surprise since I had already seen a couple of posts from othrs with this issue. Hopefully that gets addressed soon since the sound is extremely annoying.

My other concern me is what sounds like pre-ignition. When going over the car the sales rep said that although the manual states to use prem you can use whatever you want. At the time it went in one ear and out the other. I would never down grade my gas to save a few bucks at the expense of doing engine damage.

In light of that comment it would seem quite possible that the dealer filled my car with gas that may not have been the correct octane.

Perhaps running one tank of low octane gas won't do any long term damage. Perhaps it will, I don't know. I do know however that for the entire time I own this vehicle the thought that some damage COULD have occured will be in the back of my mind.

If it is impossible to cause any type of damage running one tank of low octane fuel please let me know and disregard the rest of this post.

I plan to take the car to the dealer tomorrow and have a tech do a ride along to hear both sounds. Would pinging be recorded and retreivable via diagnostics ?

I think extending the warranty would be a possible solution to alleviating my concern should the sound in question be pre-ignition. Possibly oil tests every 10k ? Not sure if the possible hot spots caused by pinging would show up in an oil test.

I wish to emphasize that I think it sounds like pre-ignition. That has not been determined yet by an Audi tech.

Curious to hear from those of you more knowledgeable about engines what you would do in my situation.

Thanks !
Old 05-29-2006, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'd be surprised if they filled it with low octane fuel. And, the ECU should be able to adapt to 89

octane and avoid pinging. Good luck with it though.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Agreed. Our dealer never skimped on the correct fuel. Why risk having people coming back with

drivbility issues? Even so, the knock sensors should catch most if not all of it.

Do you have or know somebody with a Vag Com who can run the codes?

You might want to check out some R32 forums to see if there are any reports, since that is the engine most closely related - and has been around longer.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:15 PM

thanks for the input.